Chapter 1: Separate Worlds

It was dark and cold, but Russia didn't care much about it. He sat on the ground looking out at the nearly frozen ocean, throwing in random rocks he found and breaking the thin layers of ice. Russia assumed it was around midnight, or something close to that, given the moon's position. He sighed sadly, but almost screamed when he felt something hairy rub up against him. He practically jumped off to the side to see what touched him, only to find a decent size cat looking at him with curiosity. 

It look friendly enough, so he calmed down a bit, thinking it wasn't going to attack. The cat was a light yellowish color with a darker colored tail, It also had fluffier fur around it's neck of the same color. Although what Russia found amusing was the pattern on it's face. It honestly looked like the thing was wearing glasses, which made him instantly fall in love with the animal. Smiling, he pet the cat as it came closer and continued seeking his attention. Russia didn't exactly know what gender it was, but it looked like a male, mostly considering the fact that he hasn't seen a female of its size.

"Do you have a name?" Russia asked, as if expecting the cat to answer. His smile widened as he felt it purr while he rubbed its belly. He felt like he had just made a new friend, and wanted to keep it forever. It looked lonely, like him, yearning for a friend that he could trust to stay by his side. The cat crawled in Russia lap, which made him giggle with excitement. Most animals tended to ignore him, run from him, or even slap him, but this one seemed to genuinely like him.

"You remind me of someone I know..." he whispered out softly as the cat meowed and purred. Yes, it did look like someone he knew, someone he loved. America, the one who made his world a few shades less dark. He frowned a little as he thought about his most beloved person, thinking things he wish I he could stop himself from thinking.

"Not like he would ever love me back, of course..." Russia muttered as the cat looked up at him with a near sad look in its deep blue eyes. Even his eyes looked like America's. Russia even wondered if this cat was his, ignoring the question of why it would even be in his country to begin with. It had no collar, so his original thought was that it may be a stray, but he wanted wanted it anyway. 

He laid down as the cat crawled over him, almost crushing his insides. It wasn't light, that much he knew, but was still overjoyed that something he could keep as a pet actually liked him. Ever since his traumatic hamster incident as a child, he never really thought he would have a pet. But clearly that all changed when he found himself walking home with it propped on his shoulder.

Meanwhile                                                                                                                                                           America's pov

I groaned in pain as I was shoved up against the wall of a building again, almost falling over due to the amount of trash in the alleyway. I was ashamed of myself to have gotten into more trouble with one of the local gangs, and I did not expect them to go easy on me. It was only two guys at the moment, one of which looked freakishly like me but with red eyes and hair, and the other one who reminding me of France a lot. Though definitely NOT the one I call my friend, this dude had a look of murder on his face twenty-four seven. No person I would want to be stuck in a room with, yet I was stuck in an ally with him. 

I don't even know how I got here... All I know is that I felt myself get dragged off the sidewalk, and these creeps started demanding money from me. I freaked out a little, and immediately when for the gun I had on me, though they slapped it out of my hands before I could even get my finger on the trigger. Trying to loosen red-hair guy's gripped on me, only to be pressed into the wall harder.

"Come on, just give us what you got and you can go." he commanded in sick tone, making me cringe and just struggle more. I manged to get somewhat of the upper-hand and bit down on his neck. He let go and put a hand to his slightly bloody wound. The French man  came at me but I kicked him between the legs, easily scarring him. I took this time to run, luckily not losing any important items I had, I was even able to get my gun back.

"How does this happen..?" I asked myself, rubbing my bruised and cut arms as that burst of adrenaline wore off. I have enough problems, why do I always end up unintentionally adding more? Sighing, I took out my phone to check the time, slapping myself when I realized I spent a good twenty trying to get out of that mess... Sad, just sad. I continued a boring, and slightly painful walk home as I looked around at the other people walking around on the sidewalks. 

"I wonder how their lives are." I thought, making it sound like my life was bad. It wasn't, but I sometimes wonder if me and someone else are sharing the same problem. Weird I know, but it's just something I think on almost a daily basis. Although lately, I've been so distracted, having something on my mind. Well, someone actually... I couldn't stop thinking about Russia, I really can't get him out of my head and I don't know why! I haven't told anyone, because I don't think it matters and it's embarrassing, but why would I be thinking about him so much? 

I snapped out of my half-dream-world state when I heard something fall over close to me. I stopped walking and looked to the ground, I noticed a trash can that I had just passed was pushed over. I was confused and walked up to it, jumping a little when I saw a dark cat sifting through mostly empty cans and boxes. I just kinda stood there and watched it, I hadn't seen a stray cat in a while so it surprised me. It stopped looking through the garbage and stared at me,  I didn't know how to feel about that... It was pretty big and looked very soft, which I found adorable. Honestly... It reminded me of Russia little bit... Maybe because it just had this cute and happy look on it's face like Russia always did. I smiled a little as it came closer and brushed up against my leg, almost as if I was it's destined owner. Which I became in heartbeat...