New Years (Pt.1)

Refusing to end the night, Togami's parents invited us back to his mother's house. While our fathers' smoked cigars and our mothers' sipped wine, Byakuya and I lounged in the study. I wandered aimlessly around the room, running my fingers over the familiar book spines. The last time I was in this room, I was ten and bored out of my mind while Byakuya read in silence. Even as a child, Byakuya rarely expressed his emotions; the only vivid memory I had of him smiling was in the dining hall. He had caught me staring before while I was deep in thought, always wondering what he was thinking. I hadn't noticed Byakuya standing directly in front of me, arm extended and leaning against the bookshelf. "Huh?"

"Listen when I speak, will you?" He sighed, shaking his head disapprovingly. "I suppose I have to repeat myself. Are you going to be okay?"

I chuckled, staring at my shoes. "I never told my parents about him, you know? They know him as the male model, not as my boyfriend," my voice started to crack. "No amount of explaining could change this". My vision blurred; I couldn't meet Byakuya's antagonizing gaze like this. I clenched my fists, praying the tears wouldn't fall. He wrapped an arm loosely around my shoulders, directing me to the closest seat, and held me close as I silently cried into his shoulder. 

Living up to my promise of spending New Years with my friends, we left early the next morning and were quickly approaching the Academy's gates. "Are you prepared to answer their questions?" I asked, staring out of the window.

"Only if I deem them worthy of my time". His curt response reminded me of why I sometimes hated being associated with his family. The coach came to a gradual stop; Togami stepped out first and, after a few moments, opened my door. I accepted his extended hand and made sure I wouldn't trip on my own heels. The confusion and astonishment written on our classmates' faces were priceless. Togami rolled his eyes, "What is it now?"

"Nothing, nothing!" Sayaka waved her hands as if shooing the weird atmosphere away. Having snapped out of the trance, Hina and Sayaka lunged at me, engulfing me in hugs and welcome homes. However, when the girls pulled away, Kyoko handed me one of the many gossip magazines with excerpts about me and Byakuya.

The headline read: "Togami Heir Spotted with Fashion Designer and Model Karen Billotte"; I rolled my eyes wondering why the hell anyone would read this. Turning the page, I realized why; a whole other page was dedicated to calling me a 'two-timing cheater with rumored male model' accompanied by the most-risqué photos of Nagito and I. "At least they captured a good angle," I said, pointing to the picture of Byakuya and me.

He adjusted his glasses, staring at the still frame of whatever conversation we were having. I watched his gaze shift from scrutinizing to soft adoration, pressing his lips together to avoid forming the smirk that was tugging at the corners. Byakuya passed the magazine off to the nearest person, "Now, why exactly are you all waiting outside?"

"We're going to the New Years festival!" Sayaka announced, bouncing with excitement. "You're wearing a kimono, right Karen?"

"I...don't own one," I shrank back from her gasps. Not only did I not own a kimono or yukata, I had never attended any Japanese festivals, but I thought it was best to not mention that. "Oh, please, I can't be the only one doesn't own one". 

The girls continued to drag me to every kimono shop in the nearby area, losing most of the guys along the way. Byakuya and Makoto kept their distance but followed us to every store, which was the only reason Fukawa agreed to stick around. After trying on several kimonos, I groaned from impatience and the overwhelming amount of choices, "We only have a few hours left," I muttered to Kyoko, who gave me a sympathetic smile.

Byakuya intervened Sayaka from handing me another pink kimono. Within seconds, he handed me a dark green kimono with lotus flower accents. The sudden interjection caught all of us off guard, but I was quick to accept the help. Sakura and Kyoko helped me into the full ensemble, already approving of Byakuya's taste. "Why dark green?" I asked, poking my head out from the dressing room.

"The color of wealth and prosperity. Now, hold still," Byakuya directed me to a chair, handing Sayaka and Junko two hair adornments. Since when is he knowledgeable in dressing a woman? I asked myself as the two circled around me, tying my hair into a high-ponytail; I could feel the two adornments being tucked in different spots of my hair. Once the girls were finished, Byakuya offered his hand and led me to the floor-length mirror. I gasped at my reflection; the lotus flowers seemed to float above the green fabric. There was a hair stick tucked in my ponytail with pearls dangling off the end and the matching hair comb was made of ivory with oriental carvings. We were so distracted by our reflection that Byakuya and I hadn't noticed the girls taking pictures, Fukawa's scowl, or that we were still holding hands. In the mirror, I noticed the shop clerk smiling as well.

"Oh! Right," I nervously laughed as I dug inside my purse. Kyoko reached over, blocking my hand, and nodded towards Byakuya. He was already handing a gold card to the clerk. "Showing off, Togami?" I smirked. He turned around, response prepared but remembered that there were witnesses. Instead, his gaze softened and made me even more curious about what he was thinking.