An Ill Promise

"Guess I've been found out! Miss Gloom really let me down," she clutched her shoulders, flailing about in hysterical laughter. Every word out of her mouth was nonsensical; we couldn't believe that there had actually been a serial killer hiding amongst us.

"Okay, so...you were right about the serial killer," I swallowed a portion of my pride, but refused to look at Togami. "But what reason could she have for killing Chihiro?"

"Simple. Toko didn't want her secret revealed. If no one committed murder within the 24-hour limit, Monokuma would have revealed Genocide Jack's real identity, and undoubtedly ruin Toko's life".

"I see... I see...," Jack's tongue curled in intrigue. "Too bad! I'm not the culprit!"

"How can we trust you to tell the truth?" Sakura scanned the killer's face with scrutiny.

"Especially when the crime scene is identical with your pattern," Togami stared Jack down, but she wasn't deterred.

"No...I don't believe that. There are clear differences," Naegi intervened once again, earning more delirious laughter from Genocide Jack. According to the file, the serial killer was a stickler for details; the killing method, the weapon, neither of which matched the crime scene. If this crime wasn't committed at the hands of the 'professional' serial killer, then there had to be a copycat among the group. "Byakuya, you've read Genocide Jack's file before, right?" The farther Naegi dug and managed to connect the evidence, the more suspicious of Togami everyone became. But...his attitude...Byakuya was too calm for what he had done. 'No! Someone has to be framing him' I mentally shook my head and refocused.

By the time the trial had finally concluded, I sunk to the seat of my podium, letting the shallow wood banister surround me. The numbness shattered at the sound of Taka's sorrowful scream. I listened to the others, questioning and making proclamations at Togami, as if anything they said would have an effect on him. "Don't waste your breath", I hoisted myself up, "A king with no loyalty is merely a traitor". Togami and I locked eyes, but I didn't sense the familiar cold gaze. "Monokuma. Thank you," I watched Byakuya's eyes flicker what I assumed was anger and approached the elevator.

"What do you have to thank him for?!" Byakuya reached out, gripping my arm.

I glanced up at him, "For removing the ignorant veil from my eyes. You just proved him right with this trial". Byakuya roughly released my arm, letting me enter the elevator. "Game on, Togami. Next move's mine," I leaned against the wall as the elevator doors shut. Once I could no longer see their faces, I let the proud façade fall. I locked myself in the AV room and bawled; I had no idea that Togami would pull such a ruthless stunt. I was disgusted with myself for trusting him, but even more so knowing that my heart still ached for him. 

*ding dong* *ding dong* 'What the hell...' The blankets fell to the floor as I stumbled out of bed. I opened the door just as someone began to knock, "Go away". I barely cracked an eye open, recoiling from the blinding pain of the hallway light.

"Sorry, I just wanted to see if you were okay. You didn't come to breakfast," Naegi lowered his voice, keeping a hushed tone.

"I didn't...what? What time is it?" Regrettably, I switched the lights on and glanced at the clock. It was nearly nine; I had slept through Monokuma's energetic announcement. "I didn't mean to worry you," I started shuffling through the dresser. "Guess I have to explore the new floor myself, huh?" I chuckled. Makoto forced a few laughs but remained quiet while waiting for me. When we met with the others in the dining hall, I stumbled back at the sight of Jack (or Jill, whatever she wanted to be referred as), "Why is it still roaming around?" I didn't care whether she was likely to kill someone or not; her presence was annoying and oppressive.