|4| A True Friend

(AN): I know that very few people have read this so far, but are you enjoying it? I'll try to not have many of these notes throughout the story, but I need as much feedback as I can get since I'm a novice when it comes to writing.

Well, thanks for reading this and I'll let you get back to the story :3

*************************************

——10:00am——
——5th of February, 1939——

I had the nightmare again... the same one from November on the snowy mountain. The first fear-filled scream seemed hauntingly familiar now, and the dream was vivid as ever. I had walked around a bit to clear my head before laying down again on the floor with a sigh.

The front door of the office opened and footsteps sounded as somebody walked in. My head rose up from its position on my forepaws. My ears perked up as I listened intently. 'Those footsteps...'

I got up and began to walk around again. My stature had changed in the two months, being 2'9" tall now at nearly 8 months old. In comparison to the other dogs, my legs were longer and thinner, my ears sharp and tall even with the floppy ends, my muzzle was longer and sharper, my fur was longer and fluffier, and my tail became longer and bushier. My flank had a couple of visible scars, but most were hidden by my thick pelt. I had a scratch on my muzzle and my eyes were cold and dark as I watched everything. My muscles were stringy and had wiry strength rather than being knotted, and bulky. The only thing that looked a little funny was the fact both my ears were floppy at the top.

The footsteps stopped and I heard voices in the office. Most were shocked and hesitant but agreed nonetheless. The door opened revealing a woman, her face pale as fear radiated off her in waves. A man followed, wearing a brown uniform and cap with soft blue eyes that slowly scanned the room.

'The Sergeant...'

I watched from a hidden spot in the room. I had mastered hiding and observing without being observed. Although he quickly saw my dark gray-blue eyes staring at him from where he stood.

"Are you sure you want to do this? She isn't a puppy anymore..." The woman began, a fearful tone in her voice.

"I'll be alright." The Sergeant reassured the woman before walking into the room. She shut the door behind him and he was left there alone.

I moved silently, and quickly around him before crouching down to watch. I may remember him, but I had no intention of revealing myself yet.

He looked around before sitting down on the floor and turning to look directly at me. His blue eyes were soft and kind in comparison to my cold, dark orbs. 'Screw it.'

I slowly walked out from my hiding spot, my bushy tail gently waving back and forth and my floppy ears bouncing slightly with every step. I stopped walking once I was about 15' away. My eyes softened a little as he gave a small smile in my direction.

My fur bristled slightly as a soft growl rose in my throat when he moved to scoot across the floor towards me. My eyes narrowed before I shifted my weight from one paw to the other.

"Hey."

His sudden speech surprised me and I growled at the same time. The growl died in my throat almost as fast as it had come. Though as he continued to talk to me, my growl came back. The union of his soft and kind words with the harshness of my growl sounded odd, but right at the same time.