|10| When Everything is Torn Away

The sun was rising when I looked up towards the sky, the black void of stars turning to blue. My limbs were numb with cold as I rose from my sitting position on the snow covered hill. I hadn't slept, ate, or drank anything. Just sat... looking... listening numbly to the broken city.

I forced my paws to move as I ran back to camp, back to the place where I could fight for Bucky, and fight with Steve.

Arriving into camp, my paws carried me along Steve's scent trail into one of the buildings. It was clear a meeting just ended as people were getting up and moving around hurriedly. Steve walked over to me and knelt down. "Stay with Peggy alright?"

I sighed and gave him a huff to signal I understood, but stopped him from leaving by gently grabbing his hand in my jaws. He looked at me confused before I moved his hand to my neck, making it brush against the dog tags and leather collar. He seemed to understand my meaning and took both off. Putting the dog tags around his neck and tightening the large collar into a bracelet-type thing around his wrist (that way it was out of the way, but still there). I nuzzled him before walking off to find Peggy. She was getting a weapon and loading it when I walked over. Looking down, she gave me a confused and sympathetic look before walking out to join the soldiers. I followed her closely. Steve told me to stay with her, and I was too emotionally drained to even think about doing anything else (usually I wouldn't obey orders unless we were on a battlefield and/or I trusted the person).

I watched Steve leave separately with the other 'Howling Commandos'. I sat down on the floor next to Peggy as I watched everybody else getting ready to leave. Where we were going I didn't know, but my mission was to protect Peggy. And I was going to do just that.

——Time skip: Outside the Hydra——
——base——

We waited outside as I watched Steve being brought into the base, surrounded by guards. A growl rumbled in my throat as my muscles tensed, restraining myself from dashing forward and ripping every Hydra agent to shreds. The general nodded his head, the order to move as we saw the commandos zip-lining into a window. I trot with Peggy until we came across Hydra soldiers. My growl harshly rose as my I locked onto them. My eyes flicked towards Peggy and she nodded at me.

I shot forward snarling at the soldiers, rage had me seeing red as anger replaced the grief in my heart. I became a raging demon as my teeth ripped their throats open, not bothering to give them a quick and painless death. "Mallow!"

My head whipped around as I saw Peggy and everyone else enter the building. I ran over and entered first, the soldiers backing up to give me space. We all ran down the hall as a soldier rounded the corner yelling, "Cut off one head, two more s-"

I leapt on top of him, knocking him to the ground as my fangs sunk into his throat, ripping it open. I raised my head, lifting my blood stained muzzle and looked back as the general made a wisecrack. "Let's go find two more!"

Peggy and I ran forward to find Steve pinned in a hole in the wall, a man blowing fire and trapping him there. Peggy shot at him, disabling the armor as Steve stepped out from hiding.

"You're late." Steve commented, using Peggy's words from when he brought the 107th back in 1943.

"Weren't you about to..."

"Right." Steve ran towards a door, grabbing his shield as he went through. I ran forward and followed him as we ran through the hallways.

We saw Schmidt enter a huge plane and begin to fly away. Steve and I began to run down the runway, him pulling ahead due to the serum. We began to slow and I turned my head as a car drove up. We jumped in and began to catch up. "Keep it steady!" Steve got up to jump onto the landing gear.