Chapter 5 - On a Different Note

What a pain in the neck. Saiki had felt apprehensive the entire Sunday following that damn party. How could two inconsequential high school girls give him so much grief?

He wasn't sure what he was dreading more: having to face Teruhashi after all that weirdness, or Aiura and the accompanying waves of gossip. Either way it was going to be awkward. Topping it all off, he still sounded like he had swallowed a cactus. Just another day in his disastrous life.

The only silver lining to be found, was the fact that his powers had not come back after that unexplainable incident. Still, it worried him. It had been bad enough that they had returned at all. But without having any control over them on top of that? That wasn't just inconvenient. It made him dangerous. As he had aptly shown by pulverizing poor Teruhashi.

Before all of this happened, he'd reckoned that the need for laying low had disappeared. It shouldn't really matter if he stood out or not, if he had no powers that were at risk of being exposed. He still didn't like it, but it had been nice not having to worry about attracting attention. Now he was not so sure. Was he really just a normal high school student? Or was there still some psychic power lingering in his veins?

Either way, he was about to attract some much unwanted attention, and he was looking forward to it even less than usual. That dreadful Monday had arrived, and Saiki was standing outside the door to his classroom. He had intentionally left home late so he wouldn't run into the guys on the way to school. He inhaled deeply, opened the door and stepped inside. The classroom went completely quiet at his entry.

Good grief. It was just a stupid kiss, people. Grow up.

The second bell rang, indicating that class was starting. Saiki made a beeline for his desk and sat down. People started murmuring again.

Saiki noticed the desk next to him was empty. Did Teruhashi stay home? He'd have to face her at some point, but at least he didn't have to deal with her right now. Good. Now he could focus fully on Aiura and the foolish stunt she had pulled on hi—

Someone silently glided past him, just as the teacher came in. From the corner of his eye, he saw Teruhashi sit down in her seat without a sound. She must have been at Yumehara's desk in the back. He hadn't noticed her when he'd rushed to his spot just now, with his eyes to the floor.

Of course. It did sound too good to be true.

He glanced at her. She was watching the teacher, seemingly paying him no attention. Odd. But convenient. Saiki sat back in his chair. Class was starting, so he could relax for a bit. For now.

***

Class had been rather uneventful, except for the attempts by Kaidou and Kuboyasu to get his attention. They had been swiftly ignored. It meant he had to act fast now though, before they got a chance to intercept him.

Saiki got up as soon as the bell rang and stepped over to Aiura's desk. He gave her a penetrating glare.

Outside. Now.

He didn't care that he couldn't send telepathic messages anymore. He was not going to expose his frog voice in class. Seemed like she got the point anyway, because she was now following him. He heard some idiot whistle after them as they left the class room.

They walked up the stairs until they were at the roof top. Saiki turned around, folded his arms across his chest and continued giving her his foulest expression. Aiura scratched her head and grinned at him sheepishly.