r. speirs

"kraut surgeon says they're gonna make it"

---

Sergeant Edith Jones had grown extremely restless in her years spent in Europe during the war. Never being quite able to find a way to calm down and relax, she frequently met up during the night with a certain Ronald Speirs. Often sharing a cigarette between the two of them, their silent nights together turned into deep conversations about the war and their ever-present inner demons. As the time they spent together became more frequent, their friendship grew to something more; something usually very hard to find during times of war. With his husky voice and the constant smell of cigarettes, she had finally managed to find something to soothe her restless mind.

The night had started like any other. Edith had stepped out of her temporary housing accommodations in Austria and set out with a new pack of cigarettes to find a certain captain. Her search was stopped, however, once she remembered that he had a scheduled meeting with Major Winters. "Fuck," she sighed out, her words stolen by the breeze. 

Defeated and unsettled, the Sergeant decided to take a long walk in the cool night air in hopes of calming her mind. Her walk was interrupted, however, by the loud rumbling of an engine.

Stopping in her tracks and turning to face the noise, she came face to face with her close friend, Chuck Grant, and two privates who were settled in a jeep.

"Need a ride?" Grant asked with a small smile on his face. He knew of her frequent nighttime adventures and her ever-working mind.

"I don't have a destination in mind, Chucky." She responded.

"You don't need one, just come along for the ride." 

Edith smiled quickly and moved towards the jeep, just as the private in the front seat hopped out and moved to the back. "Impeccable service, boys."

---

A few minutes into their ride, the privates began pestering Grant about previous experiences and soldiers of Easy Company, all the while Edith fiddled with the pack of cigarettes. She smiled when Guarnere's name was brought up. She missed the big-mouthed Philadelphian and his crude humor. 

"What happened to him?" One of the privates asked.

Edith noticed the car start to slow and immediately perked up at the sight in front of them. She slowly slipped the cigarettes into her right front pocket.

"Got his leg blown off in Bastogne," Grant replied. He completely stopped the car and started to hop out along with Edith. 

She landed uneasily on the ground beside the jeep. "Wait here," she told the privates. "Stay alert."

Edith started cautiously approaching the man with Grant by her side. The sight of dead Germans on the ground made her momentarily freeze.