Chapter Fourteen// Better Angels

It was a grim day on the farm. Carl and Leya were sullen and quiet, Beth was still in bed but getting up, Maggie had to go to another funeral, and what little was left of both Glenn and Andrea's families were gone.

They had buried Dale next to the bodies of Sophia, Mrs. Greene, Shawn, and Otis' cairn. A wooden cross was firmly planted in the dirt above where his head was, and he was covered back up in dirt.

"Dale could... could get under your skin." Rick began after Hershel read from the bible. "He sure got under got under mine, because he wasn't afraid to say exactly what he thought, how he felt. That kind of honesty is rare and brave. Whenever I'd make a decision, I'd look at Dale. He'd be looking back at me with that look he had. We've all seen it one time or another. I couldn't always read him, but he could read me. He saw people for who they were. He knew things about us.. the truth... who we really are. In the end, he was talking about us losing our humanity. He said this group was broken. The best way to honour him is to unbreak it, set aside our differences and pull together, stop feeling sorry for ourselves and take control of our lives, our safety, our future. We're not broken. We're gonna prove him wrong. From now on, we're going to do it his way. That is how we honour Dale."

Slowly, the group disbanded, with Maggie taking Leya back inside to rest her lungs and tell her how inhalers worked. Soon, only Glenn remained by Dale's grave.

"Glenn?" Hershel asked, and Glenn turned around. "Come on inside, son. I've got something I want to show you."

In the living room of the farmhouse, Hershel pulled a metal pocket watch hanging from a chain from his pocket.

"When you're a father, you think no man will ever be good enough for your little girl until one is. I can tell that you're good for my Maggie. This pocket watch is a family heirloom, and by giving it to you, I'm trusting you that you'll treat Maggie well."

"I won't hurt her, I promise. Maggie is way out of my league and if she still loves me like I love her, we'll be just fine." Glenn promised.

"And that you'll be a good father." Hershel added on.

"Father?" Glenn asked, even though he already knew the answer. He was shocked that Hershel thought the same.

"Leya's a child. Because of her abilities, many people seem to forget that she is not a weapon. She's a little girl in a scary, confusing world that needs to be protected and cared for." Hershel explained. "I think you are one of the few people here who recognize that."

"I can do that. I can protect them both. Maggie might not need it, but still." Glenn started to ramble. "I'll never let Leya get hurt. I promised her."

Hershel outstretched his arm, the watch dangling precariously from his grasp. "Well, go on and take it before I change my mind!" He joked.

x-x-x-x

"Carl? Whatcha doing over here?" Shane asked after coming across Carl jabbing a stick repeatedly into the mud. "Why aren't you with your mom?"

"She's busy," Carl nearly spat. "And it's my fault."

"What's your fault?" Shane asked, sitting beside him. The boy was going to be his own if everything went according to plan.

"Dale. It's my fault that he died."

"Carl, why would you say that, man? He got bit by a walker. Why would you say.."

Carl huffed, trying to suppress any foul emotion he might feel. "I saw that walker. I was gonna shoot it, when he was stuck in the mud. I was... I was throwing rocks at him and stuff. But I was gonna do it.. shoot it right in the head. And it... it got free, came after me and... I ran away. If I had killed it, Dale would still be here."