Chapter 8

It took you 5 hours of overtime to finish the work Jaehyun gave you, it was two weeks' worth of work, and he changed the deadline so drastically. You still wondered why his mood changed, sure, he was always an ass with you, but it never got to this. You started to think that maybe he had been planning to do this, after all, he called you to his office daily for about 3 weeks after realizing he was your boss.

The landscape outside shifted from pretty, light blues and pinks, to black with no stars visible as lightning illuminated the dark office. The red numbers on the wall displayed 11:30pm, it was late, and it was raining. The faint sound of your playlist was the only thing audible while you contemplated whether you should wait for the rain to stop or just go home and sleep.

"What a great day for rain in California." You mumbled as you struggled to find an umbrella. You eventually gave up and just left like that. The drive home was quick, due to the time and the weather traffic was not that bad. By the time you got to your apartment door, you were soaked. You entered the key on the doorknob and stopped as you heard laughter inside. 'this bitch really out here having the time of his life.'

You opened the door to be greeted by two guys in sweatpants sitting on the couch, the sound of the door making them turn to you.

"Hey, babe," Johnny said when he saw you, a small smile forming on his lips.

Jaehyun rolled his eyes and mouthed 'hi babe, had fun?' and proceeded to smirk and wink at you.

Ignoring both of them, you fumed to your room, slamming the door behind you, to take a quick shower and change into dry clothes.

"I should go check on her..." Johnny said to his friend after a few minutes and stood up to make way to your room, leaving Jaehyun alone.

"More like check her out, it's not like you care about her anyway." He muttered and moved his eyes to stare at the movie playing in front of him.

A soft knock on your door stopped you from jumping to bed.

"I am not in the mood, Jaehyun. Go away!"

"It's me, sweetheart." You heard the voice of your boyfriend say, of course, he was the one checking on you, why would Jaehyun care about you?

You opened the door and let him in, he closed the door and cupped you face to give you a small, soft kiss. He pressed your forehands together and looked into your eyes.

"Are you okay?" he moved his hands to your shoulders and squeezed them, earning a faint moan from you. He kissed you again and guided you to the bed. "You're stiff, let me massage your shoulders, babe." You sat down on the mattress and he sat behind you, slowly massaging your shoulders, every time he pressed a knot you let out a pained moan.

"Ah, that feels good." He chuckled and kissed your neck softly, making you giggle.

"You're cute," Johnny kept on pressing soft kisses all over your neck and shoulders, while still working his hands on you.

Jaehyun had stopped the movie and was listening to the sounds you were—unintentionally—making. His face contorted in a frown as he stood up to go to the kitchen. 'they really having sex while I'm still here?' he was going to do exactly what you did a while ago. Except he was going to make the firealarm go off. After calling his friend to do it he hid in the kitchen closet.

The fire alarm started going off and you quickly jumped out of the bed, dragging Johnny with you. You were about to go out the front door when you realized Jaehyun was not there.

"Johnny, where's Jaehyun?" you asked exasperatedly.

"Hey, he's probably downstairs already." Your boyfriend pulled you out, a few people running through the hallways.

"Johnny, no. The alarm just went off, there's no way he left so quickly." You freed yourself off Johnny's grip and went back inside. "Jaehyun!" you yelled when you saw his phone laying on the table.

"Why do you care so much? You told me he treats you like shit."

"I can't leave him here, Johnny!" you argued. "He's your friend shouldn't you care a little? Just leave, I'll deal with this on my own if you're not willing to help."

"Fine. Go look for your boyfriend." He yelled and walked away, leaving you in shock, you expected Johnny to stay. At least for you, but he left just like that.

The fire alarm stopped ringing, and the manager announced through the loudspeaker that it was a false alarm. Jaehyun opened the door of the closet slowly and made way to the living room, his face pale as he had heard your argument with Johnny. He should be happy that you saw Johnny like this, but he couldn't help but feel guilty when he heard your sobs coming from the living room.

"Y/n..." you looked up at him.

"Jaehyun! You're okay!" you said and wiped your tears away with the back of your hand.

"Are you okay? Where's Johnny?" he asked, coming closer but keeping a reasonable distance between the two of you.

"I'm fine. Johnny left, he said he had to go home because it was late." Lies.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, I am fine."

"Hey, about today-" he started.

"Don't worry about it Jaehyun, I work for you, I have to do as you say." You stood up and walked to your room, not wanting him to see you like this.

"I'm sorry..." he whispered as he saw you close your door, for a moment there he forgot he was supposed to hate you. For a moment he forgot he was never going to have you.