A Very Inconvenient Truth

Jennie was not a good patient. This had not been unexpected. She complained bitterly about her cast, day-in and day-out. She frequently tried to do things for herself that she really shouldn't, which almost always led to her having to be rescued in some way. Even though Jisoo tried to get her to pay attention to her exercise regime, she ignored almost everything that her physical therapist told her. She did, however, become really adept with her crutches. She could execute a quick turn with an acrobatic grace that frequently left Jisoo's heart in her mouth. When the cast finally came off, to be replaced by a padded brace, everyone heaved a sigh of relief (except Jennie, who declared the dark blue support to be the ugliest thing that she had ever seen in her life).

Surprisingly, the only person that Jennie seemed to pay any attention to was Dara, who became a regular visitor to Jennie's apartment. Jisoo supposed it was partly down to her mother's medical authority, but mostly it was because Jennie had always been scared of Dara. That was understandable: like the Incredible Hulk, no-one liked Dara when she was angry.

They settled into what was, on the face of things, a very comfortable life. Although Jisoo felt guilty about Jennie bankrolling her (she even added Jisoo as a cardholder to her bank and credit accounts), Jennie was most insistent that she was saving money by having Jisoo there. She argued that Jisoo had saved her from having to employ someone to look after her personal and medical needs. She also claimed that having Jisoo there saved her the best part of a few hundred dollars a week by cooking her meals and doing her laundry and any manner of other tasks that Jennie would have had to pay someone else to do for her.

Jisoo didn't mind. She liked looking after people: it was in her nature. And Jennie was, despite everything in their shared past, the most important person in her life and she was therefore happy that she could be there for her when needed.

Jennie was in the cast for eight weeks, then on crutches with the brace for a further two and finally just the brace for two more. By the time she was fully back on her feet, Jisoo had been offered some work on a crowd-sourced documentary project that one of her film school friends had tipped her off about. Location filming itself was only a few days' work - a week to ten days - but it was in Seattle, not Los Angeles.

With Jennie able to take care of herself again, Jisoo concluded that the time was right to discuss her moving out. They had talked a lot over the previous three months (with so much time on their hands, they had little else to do), but they hadn't ever talked about Jisoo leaving. She didn't know if Jennie would welcome it or not. The one thing that was always guaranteed to make Jennie happy was Jisoo's cooking, so she went to the market and bought a ton of food and began preparing a proper, three-course meal for them.

Jennie was out for most of the day, meeting with her business manager, Bernie, at his office. It was the first time she had been out of the apartment on her own since the accident and was just further proof, as far as Jisoo was concerned, that the time was right for them both to move on.

"So, what's the big deal?" Jennie asked, as she sauntered into the kitchen while Jisoo was chopping vegetables.

"What?" She put the knife down, turning around and leaning against the kitchen island.

"Are your parents coming over for dinner and I forgot?"

"Um, no. I just thought it might be nice to have a sit-down meal." She had hoped that Jennie wouldn't really notice that the meal preparations were more complicated than usual. She had planned for them to be sitting at the table - possibly with a glass or two of wine to fortify her - when they started this conversation.

"Okay." Jennie obviously wasn't convinced. "Do you need a hand?"

"No, it's fine. I've got everything under control." She turned around and resumed her preparations. "So, how'd it go with Bernie?" she asked, desperate to change the subject. As Jennie filled her in on the Kim finances, Jisoo continued to peel, chop and cook, inserting the odd question here and there to keep the conversation going.