"Your Side of the Bed"

A/N: Welcome back! I don't have much to say about this one, but I just love how much emotion is conveyed through this song. And I hope I accomplished that with the story. Thanks for all of your love. As always, happy reading!
ALSO, requests are back open! Yay! Thank you for your patience, and feel free to message me with any requests! 📚 ❤️
Song: "Your Side of the Bed" by Little Big Town
Rating: everyone

***

Love is complicated. That is a cold, hard fact. It's so complicated that we actually need psychologists to explain it to us. Robert Sternburg, a psychology professor at Yale University developed the "Triangular love theory" to help explain why some loves last while others wither away. Basically, according to his theory, there are seven types of love. Ultimately, everyone strives for the most satisfying and long lasting type - consummate love. This type of love requires three basic principles: emotional intimacy, physical passion, and commitment.

But, this type of love isn't easy to achieve. It takes work and maybe a little luck or, some would say, even divine intervention.

At one point, you had it. You're sure of it. You had everything. But, now you're wondering where it went.

So, what happens when you lose one of those crucial pillars of consummate love? What about two?

The answer?... You get empty love.

You don't know exactly when it happened - when things started to fall apart for you. Maybe it just happened slowly over time. But, one thing is for sure: something has changed in a big way.

"On your side of the bed, there's a picture of our wedding day, a clock that don't work, and the bible that your daddy gave. It's on the window side, where the moon creeps in at night."

You lay awake, listening to Mac's watch tick on his nightstand while he takes a shower after coming home from a week-long mission.

The moon light fills the room with an eerie sense. You glance over at the nightstand where the light reflects off of the glass from the framed picture of you and Mac on your wedding day. You were so young, so naive. But, you were in love. You had everything you needed: you could tell him anything, the physical passion was like no other you had ever felt, and you vowed to be each other's support through every high and low.

But, maybe you were too young. Maybe, as you both grew, you grew in different directions.

You swore you never would. You swore you would make it through everything together. But, now you're not so sure.

"Staring at the ceiling, lying here all alone, I said a prayer for you then I said one of my own. But you don't reach for me, when you lie down quietly."

When Mac finally comes out from the bathroom, you close your eyes, pretending to be asleep, facing in the opposite direction. You feel the mattress slowly sink, and you wait for more movement from his side, even just a kiss on the cheek. But, it doesn't come.

Any other time, after Mac got home from a long mission, you two wouldn't have been able to keep your hands off one another. No matter how exhausted he was, it wouldn't have phased him.

You finally turn around, staring at Mac's back. Hesitantly, you whisper, "Mac."

"Hmm?"

But, he doesn't move. So, you tell him, "Nothing. Goodnight."

You sigh internally, returning back to your side of the bed.

"Tell me how, how'd you get so far away? All we have left are the memories of the love we made. Are you sleeping with your own regret on your side of the bed?"