~chapter forty seven~

OWENS POV
I opened my eyes and today was Anna's birthday. My mind immediately went to her. I missed her so much. I looked over at my wall and there was a family photo of me, Anna, and the girls. I looked over at Amelia and she was sleeping next to me. As much as I missed Anna, I was extremely grateful for Amelia in my life. I got up and walked downstairs and Olivia was in the kitchen.
"Dad?" Olivia said.
"Yeah?" I said.
"Are we going to the cemetery today?" She asked.
"Yeah," I said.
"Okay," she said. I walked over and hugged her and she started crying.
"I miss her," she said.
"I know," I said, "me too." I held her as she cried and I kissed her head.
"Is Amelia coming with us?" She asked.
"I don't know," I said, "do you want her to?"
"I mean yeah she's part of our family too," Olivia said, which made me smile.
-
Sophia and Olivia were getting ready for the cemetery. I opened our bedroom door and Amelia was watching TV.
"Hey," she said.
"Hey," I said, "do you want to go to the cemetery with us?"
"Do you want me to go?" She asked, "I mean she's their mother and it's your thing to go with them, I don't wanna intrude on that, it's okay if you don't want me to go."
"Amelia," I said, "of course I want you to go, you're part of our family too, and you knew Anna too."
"If you want me to I will," she said.
"Well I do," I said.
"What about the girls?" She said.
"Olivia said yes, and I think Sophia just assumed you were coming," I said.
"Okay," She said. She got up and her small baby bump was already starting to show and I smiled.
"You're starting to show," I smiled.
"Oh my god I know," she said, "I'm only 2 months." She frowned and looked in the mirror.
"Hey guess what," I said.
"What?" She said.
"You're beautiful," I said.
"Thank you honey," she smiled. We got dressed and started on our way to the cemetery. We got there and I got out and put my arms around my daughters. We were all quiet for a while and then they ran to her grave. Amelia came over and put her hand on my back.
"Hey you Okay?" She asked softly.
"Yeah," I nodded, "I just miss her a lot."
"I know," she said, "me too." I put my arm around her and watched my two perfect daughters talk to each other and their mother. They liked coming here and talking to her grave, which we've been so busy lately that we haven't been able to come a lot, but we wouldn't miss her birthday. I smiled at them and I could feel tears forming in my eyes. I brought Amelia closer to me too and I looked down and she was crying too. I kissed her head and the girls came back over.
"I'll be right back," I said as Sophia hugged Amelia.
"Okay," Amelia said. I walked over to Anna's face and I missed her. Not even just as my wife, or the mother of my children, but as my best friend. Lover or not, Anna was my best friend in the entire world, I've known her since I was 12, and we dated when we were 18. I sat down next to her grave like the girls had.
"Hey," I said, "happy birthday. I miss you, hope you're having a good 39th birthday. We all miss you like crazy Anna, especially me. I miss my best friend, god we used to tell each other everything, I miss that. I really do. I mean if faith holds true and the people who leave us are looking down at us, you've probably seen Amelia. I think you know her, I mean she's Derek's younger sister. I do love her, a lot, but I will always love you too Anna." I sat there for a while next to her grave. I really missed her, and most days I just shut that out so I wouldn't be sad or so the girls wouldn't notice. But I really did miss her in my life. I got up and looked down at her grave and smiled.
"Have a good birthday I love you," I said, and then walked away. Amelia gave me a soft smile as I came back over. I reached for her hand and she squeezed it lightly. I pulled her into me and I kissed her head. The girls ran to the car and I stopped walking and looked back at Anna's grave. It just wasn't the same without her, but then I looked over at my gorgeous wife, who was carrying my child, and I smiled.

authors note:
I uh definitely wasn't crying writing this if that's what u were wondering yeah no ofc not.
:(