Chapter Two

A Run

4 weeks Later

Día's POV

There were only 2 more weeks left of high school. I could not be more excited. Two more weeks and I am free of waking up at 6:30 every morning. Honestly, I was more excited that in two weeks I would be able to travel the world looking for my mate. I planned to start local but if need be, I would travel to every country and continent looking for him. Summer said she'd go with me, so we could find out mates together!

I loved that idea! Me and my best friend traveling the world looking for our true love. The bell ringing drew me from my thoughts. Finally, it was the end of Friday! My favorite time of the week! I rushed to my locker and grabbed my stuff for the weekend. Then I rushed to my car, Jazmine, my wolf was super antsy. I'm hoping a run will calm her.

Before I knew it, I was pulling into our garage. It was about the size of a mini parking garage. We had so many cars and for the most part, everyone shared. It was like having a car dealership next to your house!

On my way upstairs, I stopped in the kitchen where my mom and dad were talking with Chase's parents, the Alpha Anthony and the Luna Monica. While we are one of the most powerful and strongest packs in the world, Alpha Anthony is super sweet. He isn't arrogant and rude; he was kind and understanding. The Alpha and Luna are my parent's best friends, so to me, they are my aunt and uncle, I love them as such.

"Afternoon, folks," I say cheerfully as I raid the fridge.

"Hola, Diosa," My mommy says.

"Hola, Momma," I say as I kiss her cheek. I sit at the island and prepare a yogurt parfait, my favorite.

"How was school, mija?" My dad asked me.

"Good, papa. Only two more weeks left till graduation and I could not be happier." I say as I stuff my face.

"You excited for graduation?" Uncle Anthony asked me.

"Yes, but honestly I am more excited to go out and find my mate. I am looking forward to Summer and I spending all summer traveling the world looking for our soulmate. It sounds magical to me even though Mason and CJ think it's dumb." I say the last part quickly looking at my shoes. Mason and Chase, think I should just wait for my mate to come. That I should enjoy my life and wait. They have been without their mates and they are okay, but I don't want to wait. Staring at my parents and my aunt and uncle I want that. Looking at my aunt I see her lips moving, damn it! I zoned out again!

"—not stupid, honey. The boys are just jealous that were lazy and didn't go look for their mates. Honestly, I think they'll be way too jealous if you go on this trip and find your mates. Don't let them get to you honey, we all love the idea. Your right it is romantic." My aunt Monica says. Her words reassuring me.

"Thanks, auntie," I say kissing her cheek, "I'm gonna go finish my homework." With that, I take my leave.

In my room, I quickly start my homework. Jazmine really does need a run. It seems that all the mate talk has made her antsier. She was rattling around in my head getting on my nerve. She was begging for control for some reason. I would let her have it but only during our run. I hate having her in control in our human form, she didn't know how to behave.

Soon, all my homework is done, and I contemplate changing. Sometimes I shift in the woods but other times I jump out my bay windows and shift mid-jump. I usually only do this after dark just in case there was anyone outside. My room was perfect for it. My window faced the woods but not the backyard.

I wanna shift mid-jump! Come on! Jazmine says.

Fine! I yell!

I grab a change of clothes shove them in a Ziploc bag and toss it outside. I go across my room to get a running start. Soon I am off and before I know it, I can feel the grass beneath my feet.

Let me take over, you promised! Jazmine screeches.

Relax, I will let me put the clothes away first.

I quickly grab my Ziploc bag and trot into the woods. I leave my clothes in a secret place I created. I dug it in the ground near the root of a tree not too far from the edge of the woods. I did it right after I first shift. It's not too deep so I didn't feel bad when I filled it was cement to keep it dry. I keep it covered with leaves and moss and so far, no one has found it!

I start off my run slow, just trotting about. I use this time to talk to Jazmine.

Okay, Jaz, you can take over but when we shift back, I'm in charge got it!

Yes, yes. I got. I can tell she's annoyed.

Okay, go. I tell her and I feel her take the driver's seat. When our wolves take over, it is kind of like an out of body experience. We can see, hear, feel and smell everything that is going on, but you aren't in control. For me, letting Jaz take control was the best on a run. It killed two birds with one stone. Jaz got to be in control and run free and I got to think about what's important.

I loved our wolf. We were a midnight red wolf, with dark brown eyes and super soft fur if I do say so myself. I was the daughter of the Beta and I had some distant alpha blood, so I was bigger than most wolves, male or female. My wolf was way taller than my human form. In human form, Jaz and I were about 5'4 but in wolf form were about 6'0, which was odd for wolves. Usually, your human height and wolf height are proportionate. My parents thought my size also meant I was destined to be mated to an alpha. Lunas were also naturally bigger because they were equal to Alphas.

Before I realize it, the moon is very high in the sky. I know that means I have been running for a long time, Jaz does too. She howls at the moon and takes off towards out clothes. When we reach the clothes, I remind of our deal.

Shhh! She yells, sniffing!

Jaz you promised!

While I'm fussing at her, she shifts. As she's changing, she speaks.

Hush, you smell that?

Smell what?

MATE!

What? Mate? Where?

As I question Jaz the wind blows, and I smell it. The most intoxicating smell that I have ever smelled. Fire and wood. Frantically I start searching for the source and what walks out from behind the tree shirtless has my heart in my shoes.

"MATE!!!" He says eyes dark as a moonless night.

"Chase?!"