Prologue - The Darkness

(Sequel story to https://www.wattpad.com/487173492-the-human-princess-levi-x-reader-chapter-1)

No one talks about how captivating darkness can be.

They talk about the danger that could ultimately be hidden within its embrace, the monsters that it keeps as its pets. They say that darkness is something that everyone once came from, and one day must return to.

But no one talks about how time within darkness seems to be non-existent; how a small piece of eternity lies within the heart of the black depths.

True darkness – no one talks about that.

The woman stood – in true, unending darkness – at her balcony, listening to the pure lack of sound that the night was making. The moon was hooded, cloaking the land from any hint of light that it had promised on each other night. The woman didn't seem to care about the cold, however, as her dress rustled and whispered with the wind that rushed past her skirts, rattling the doors behind her.

The male she had left inside the room snarled in his sleep, to which the woman merely cast an irritated look behind her as she turned her attention back to the balcony. From her perch, she could see all the windows of her home – and pinpoint who was awake, and who was not. It was a passive power to have, to own; but in her position, in her life, any power would be one that she used.

No one seemed to realize that the thing she became when surrounded by the beasts was not the same thing that lurked behind their skins. But where once she would have gloated and dared to defy, she had learned to contain it to moments like these, where she was alone in the infinite darkness.

But the night almost quivered in excitement as she couldn't help but let out a little laugh, her finger encircling the ring that she wore, a habit that she'd picked up since she had started wearing it. So many symbols, the woman wore. The dress, the ring, the crown. She let them clothe her in symbols, let them believe blindly that she was theirs and nothing else.

Their ignorance was her power, too.

And with it, she'd end the world and forge the new one.