Chapter 12 - The Dungeon

"I have no clue what we're going to do with you."

You smiled at the floor, Pixis's words music to your ears. "That's fine - no one ever does. I'd normally suggest believing me, but no one has done that in a while." Your wrists and ankles still had chains on them, but you'd been dragged to a cell within the school where no one dared to go. No one had objected as you had been blindfolded and led quietly down steps and paths that you remembered very clearly – even without seeing them.

The sand paths.

You remembered them – the way that the sand crunched under your feet.

Every student had fallen silent; not one single voice whispered to their friend, nor one laugh erupted as they found themselves safe again. You'd only known that they'd been there from the ragged breathing that they couldn't hide, thinking that the measly sound would be lost the wind.

But once the blindfold had robbed you of your sight, your ears only became sharper as you found you depended on sound.

And now you'd been thrown into one of the cells in the damned dungeons that had always, no matter how far you'd run from them, followed you.

In dreams, in thoughts.

It wasn't that you could see your surroundings, especially with the blindfold.

It was more that you could feel the prison's coldness stabbing at your skin like needles, over and over. It was more that you could smell the blood and the moss, the rust.

It was more that you doubted your muscles would ever forget just how they failed to tense and perform.

You wrinkled your nose, mostly for Pixis's benefit. You could almost taste blood from the heavy coppery smell hanging in the air. "I don't like this place," you said, your voice unnervingly quiet. "Something bad happened to me here, as I'm sure you're aware. Can't you find nicer lodgings?"

You sensed the way that Pixis looked at you – with a tight face, eyes glaring. You imagined him leaning against the mossy wall opposite your cell. "You don't get to make requests, miss L/N."

"You have to appreciate the fact that it's a shock," you said. "Going from royalty and being treated as such to suddenly being put into the dungeons."

"It's pure luck that you're even here instead of following Erwin to his base," Pixis said, and you frowned as the voice became vaguely disembodied – he was moving around. "For some reason, Levi Ackerman seems to think you may be human."

"Oh?" The little word changed everything, but you didn't want to give Pixis the chance to see just how much his sentence had floored you. "And I thought he was insisting that I was a titan."

"He asked you if you were a titan," Pixis corrected. "There is a difference."

"The fact that he had to ask is an insult," you insisted, noting how your voice was trying to put a snarl behind your words and strangling it. "I gave up everything to save you all, and yet you treat me like dirt."

"All true," Pixis agreed cheerfully, and you cursed the fact that you were bound and couldn't strangle him. "But did you give up your humanity? The scar on the back of your neck seems very fresh, after all."

"Of course I had to act like I was a titan and had forfeited my humanity – are you a fool?"

"This may come as a shock to your system, miss L/N, but sass and attitude will not get you very far in this situation."

"I am in a situation where everybody wants to either kill me or prod me with a needle. I thought sass was necessary."

Pixis hummed. "Pray tell – what happened here that makes you so unhappy?"