Chapter 20 - The Problem

Kenny's name meant nothing to you, but from Levi's reaction to the man, it was going to carry meaning very soon. He led you three to a world of even more darkness.

Kenny reached a house that you didn't recognize and waved his men through, eyeing Christa as she went in without a fight and smirking at you as you followed with even less of a bite. The men had clearly been here before - they went straight towards the bookcase and tugged it open to reveal the stairs leading downwards into a dungeon.

You ignored the strain that the sight put on your soul.

Kenny closed the door firmly behind you all and led the men's merry way down those stairs, seemingly content in the darkness. Levi hung back by just a few meters, letting the back of his hand whisper against yours as you both held your chins high and descended into the dark.

"Welcome to my borrowed parlour," Kenny said, revealing what would have been a pleasant room under a different set of circumstances. He gestured towards one of the two seats, which Levi begrudgingly fell into, and sat himself in the one opposite. "Obedience does not come naturally to you," Kenny said, surveying Levi coolly. "So, I'm just going to prepare your reward if you're a good boy."

The men surrounding both you and Christa cackled as they all reached towards you as one, their hands touching every part of your body that could be used as a weapon. Your knives fell to the floor as one of them disarmed you, and you snarled and kicked as much as you could before your legs were also grabbed and lifted. You were half in the air as Kenny huffed a sigh and got up, stalking towards you.

The next thing you knew, you were being held up by the men and there was a deep silence in the underground parlour.

You could feel the blood trickling down your temple from where Kenny had hit you, with the stick that had now been placed against the arm of his chair. You weren't sure how long you'd been out for, but you doubted that it had been long - Levi still looked furious enough to blow, so his anger had yet to be taken out on someone.

"I wanted to talk to you," Kenny said, simplicity ringing through his voice – or was it your headache that had that effect? You could tell from his patronizing tone that he'd tried to open with this just moments before. "After all, you've been Underground for nearly a week - and you haven't come to find me? Honestly, I'm almost hurt." Levi said nothing - his lips were pressed tightly together, as though he could simply kill Kenny by looking daggers at him. "If you're not going to have a chat with me, boy, I will just turn my attention to one of my other guests."

Levi nearly glanced at you - you saw that in the way that his head tilted just a fraction before he realized what a stupid move it would be. "What could you possibly want to talk about?"

"What have you been doing?" Kenny pressed, leaning forwards in his seat. "What is your aim? What are you going to do?" At Levi's answering smirk, the man raised a walking stick that had been resting against the chair and traced it down Levi's jaw threateningly. "Don't test me."

"I can only answer two of those questions," Levi said, his voice wonderfully blank. "What have I been doing? Whatever my leader wants. What am I going to do? Exactly that, again."

Kenny huffed a laugh. "And who is your leader? Or are you still panting after that man who pinned you down into the dirt? I should have known that you were the submissive type." You sniggered but hid the sound as soon as Kenny eyed you. "Or is it that your leader," he continued, getting up from his chair and walking around to stalk somewhere behind you, "is none other than our own Ruler, right here?"

Kenny must have signalled to his men somewhere along the way, because the men hanging around the outskirts of the room practically pounced on top of Levi and held him in his seat. Hands were on his wrists, on his thighs, on his shoulders. One man even dared to get a strip of cloth and force in between his teeth, causing Levi's eyes to spark with feral rage. You stamped on your assailant's foot abruptly, your eyes on nothing but Levi, as you tried to get to him. But your movements were slow and sluggish, courtesy of the blow that Kenny had bestowed on your head.