I Promise I'm Not A Seriel Killer

Ember's POV

"Girls, you are playing so hard, I am so proud of you. We are only down by one point, we have the ball, and six seconds." I can't help but grin at the girls panting around me. "Mia, take the ball out and pass in to Sammy at point. Sammy, you have the important job, Robin and Jade will both run picks, screen at the top of the key. Sammy you have to pick a side and stick to it, so watch the screens carefully. Roll down for a lay up or pass out to Mia at the corner where she will be a fall back. Lay up is less risky but I trust Mia to shoot the three if we need. Go, let's get this win!" I grin sending them back onto the court as the ref blows his whistle.

The play seems to go off in slow motion, Mia gets it into Sammy who rolls past the defender. Jade giving a perfect screen, but the second defender gets in front of her. She turns and passes the ball to Mia who doesn't hesitate before popping the ball up towards the basket. The buzzer sounds as the ball falls through the hoop. The whole gym erupts into cheers, mine drowned out by them all. The whole team gathered around Mia in a big hug.

"With a three point shot at the buzzer the OceanSide Sharks win the game and will proceed to the semifinals on Saturday morning." The announcer calls over the noise.

"Girls, go high five, we have sportsmanship." I call to the huddle of girls, they listen lining up to tell the other team good game.

"Good game, Em." Patti walks over with Paislee as soon as I finish talking with the coach of the other team.

"Thank you. And thanks for bringing her." I take Pai from her. "I know you would probably rather spend your Valentine's day with Ron."

"He's out of town this week, working back east. If you came by the main house ever you might know that." She sasses.

"I'm sorry, I've been busy. Season's over Saturday then we will spend more time together. I owe you so much as it is."

"Let me take Pai home, you have a team to celebrate with remember." She takes Pai back.

"I'll be home in a little while, and I'll even come by the main house for a minute if Paislee is still awake."

"We will see you in an hour or two." Paislee waves over Patti's shoulder as they walk away.

"Congratulations, coach." I turn, the voice familiar but not one I can pinpoint just by hearing it. I gasp as I look up into the face behind me. "Happy Valentine's Day, Ember, and congrats on the win." He hands over the bouquet of roses in his hand.

"What the hell are you doing here, and what are you wearing?"

"Not even a thank you first?" And there is that grin I fell for seven years ago, dimple and all.

"Thank you for the flowers, Ashton. But seriously what are you doing here? You're going to get mobbed."

"Why do you think I am wearing a big black hoodie with the hood up? Also a beanie to cover the red curls. Don't worry about me. I had to come see you in action, and I wanted to meet you." Is he blushing? Is Ashton Fletcher Irwin of 5 Seconds of Summer nervous to meet me?

"Well now you have. I have to go talk to my girls, post game stuff." I motion behind me towards the locker room.

"I can wait. I have no plans tonight. Calum ditched me for Duke."

"Half an hour tops? Don't get mobbed while I'm in there." I chuckle.

"Don't leave out the back way when you're done. It will make me very sad." He adds.

"I won't, I promise. I'll be back." I smile one more time, shocked he is even here. I can feel his eyes on me as I walk towards the locker room.

"Coach Em!" I'm crushed by arms hugging me as I walk into the locker room.