Chapter Nine - Not a Race

"Hey, Clark!"

Clark turned around to find Jimmy motioning for him to come over to his desk. Clark walked over. "What's up?"

Jimmy smiled, "I just wanted to say thank you. Because of you, I keep my job."

Had he found out that Clark was Superman? Clark stuttered for a moment, not sure of what to do.

"I mean, the tip of where Superman was," Jimmy continued. "I went there, like you said, and got some really nice shots of Superman that I think White is really going to use."

Clark smiled back. His secret was safe. "Yeah, of course."

Jimmy cleared his throat, "I also wanted to say thank you... for keeping the city safe. Even when no one is on your side. You're doing the right thing."

Clark's heart sank. Jimmy had found out Clark was Superman. Or was he just guessing?

"I- don't know..."

Jimmy interrupted, "You are him, aren't you?"

"I have no idea what you're talking about. I am who?" Clark said in an effort to keep his actions as Superman private. If everyone knew that Clark was Superman, he'd be fired. Or worse.

"You are Superman. I know it. Every time you leave work, there's an attack going on. And then, not five minutes later, Superman shows up."

Clark was silent.

"You can trust me, Clark," Jimmy said.

"I know, Jimmy," Clark said reluctantly. "It's the people that know that I trust you that I can't trust."

Olsen thought for a moment, then shook his head. "I have no idea what all that means, but you didn't deny you were Superman, so I guess that means I joined the team!"

"No, that's not"

But Jimmy held a hand up. "Meet me up on the roof in about six hours."

"What?" asked Clark, who was taken aback, but it was no use. Jimmy had hurried into the elevator and disappeared.

Clark looked around to see if anyone had noticed what had happened, but no one had. Something did catch his eye, though. Lois, who was grabbing papers out of the printer. Clark remembered his own report, and gathered the papers that he had printed out earlier. He tucked them in a folder and headed towards Mr. White's office. Lois glanced up, saw where he was going, and scrambled around to find a folder for her own report.

"The article of Superman, Mr. White," announced Clark, setting the folder down in front of the old man. "Just like you asked."

Perry White looked up at Clark from over his glasses, then back down at the report. "You finished this quickly. Nice work. I hope none of the quality was lost in your speed, however."

"No sir," said Clark quickly.

"Your article, Mr. White, sir," Lois said, jogging into the office.

"Thank you, Miss Lane. Perhaps if you had run faster, you might have beaten Mr. Kent here."

"It's not a race, sir." But the effect of her words were lost by the sound of faint panting.

"Good answer," replied Mr. White. "I guess we'll see about that, won't we? You are both dismissed."

Clark followed Lois out of White's office, a smug grin showing on his face. As soon as they were out of earshot of their boss, Lois turned on him. She didn't say anything for a moment, merely studying him, as if she'd only just seen him for the first time. Finally, she said, "Impressive."

Clark just shrugged. "All I did was finish before you. He hasn't decided who the winner is?"

Lois raised an eyebrow. "Winner? So it is a competition."

"Maybe a little," said Clark, earning a laugh from Lois. She had a great laugh.

"Okay, Kent," she said. "I guess we'll see who the winner is. But you should know, no one's ever finished an assignment before me. You're either a great reporter or you know a lot about Superman."

Clark nodded slowly, then said, "Why not both?" He walked off and sat back down at his desk, smiling to himself.

He was getting better at his job. One of them, anyway. The other he was still working on. It was going to be harder than Clark thought, keeping two seperate lives balanced. Could he really do it? Be a hero. He had what it took; he was invincible after all. He just had to keep his strength in check, not cause accidents that could hurt people. Once they realized that all he wanted to do was save people, surely the media and the people would understand. He would be recognized as a hero. He was just learning. Learning to be the best version of himself. Learning to slow down. Learning to work for and earn people's trust.

So, as the television screen flashed overhead with more breaking news, Clark was ready. He was determined. He was going to prove himself and become the hero of Metropolis. He was going to save the plane that was currently spiraling downwards. Clark slipped out of the Daily Planet building once more, noticed by no one except for Jimmy. He shot of toward the plane, not thinking of the danger, or how he was going to stop the plane. Only thinking about what would happen after. Once all the people on the place were saved, Mr. White would have no choice but to publish Clark's essay. His reputation would be redeemed and he would be seen how he'd always wanted to be seen as. A protector.