[1]

"Are you sure you're ready for this?" Arielle King drove through the New Jersey streets with her roommate, Geneva Kelly in tow. Arielle turned into the parking lot of a large white building as Geneva fumbled with the zipper of her black leather jacket. Today was her callbacks for the latest production from the Paper Mill Playhouse, Newsies, and Geneva was beyond nervous. What if I mess up? What if I forget how to sing? What if I can never book anything after this callback? "G?" Arielle brought her roommate out of her anxious thoughts as she threw the car in park.

"Hmm?" Geneva looked up from her zipper, her brown eyes wide. She bit her lip as her mind started to race about the endless things that could go wrong.

"Now, you see that weird thing that you like to do where you bite your lip when you get nervous?" Arielle pointed an acrylic blue-colored fingernail at the redhead. "Stop it! I've been your proud best friend for ten years now and I will not sit back and watch you throw away your dream just because your stupid brain decides to tell you that you've failed before you've even tried!"

Geneva swallowed her fear and drew in a deep breath, closing her eyes. In that moment, she let all of her worries wash away. She let out the breath and opened her eyes again, turning to Arielle with a smile. "What would I do without you?"

"Good thing you don't have to find out," Arielle leaned over and pulled Geneva into a tight hug. "Now, go kick some Newsie ass!"

Geneva stepped out of the car and started walking towards the building, only to have Arielle roll down her car window and holler "Make good choices!" as she drove away. The redhead rolled her eyes and chuckled, turning her attention back to the building. Geneva stared at the Paper Mill Playhouse as it stood before her in all its majesty. To anyone who drove or walked by, it was a simple red brick building where plays were held. But, to Geneva, it was so much more. Behind its doors, all of the hopes and dreams she had working for since she was six years old, dancing and singing around the living room to Gene Kelly in "Singing In The Rain" or Jane Powell in "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers." Geneva drew in a breath and internally pushed down the butterflies in her stomach before approaching the door. God, I hope Arielle was right. Geneva swung the door open and stepped through, biting her lip to try and hide her wide smile spreading across her face in anticipation.

This was the day where she would make it or break it. God, I hope the guy in my chemistry test isn't a creep. What was his name again? Ben. Ben something. "Hold the door!" A panicked voice from behind Geneva called out, bringing her out of her thoughts. She turned, quickly lodging her foot in between the door and its frame.

"Thanks," a younger man about her age slipped in, his breathing labored from running. He offered her a small smile and adjusted his plain black baseball cap.

"No problem," Geneva smiled a closed lip smile in return. She tucked her hands into the back pockets of her faded denim jeans. Geneva found herself falling into step with the man as they both appeared to be heading in the same direction. "So," Geneva broke the awkward silence. "You, uh, cast or crew?"

The man adjusted the strap of his bag and turned his gaze to the red-haired woman walking next to him. "Uh, cast. At least, I hope," he held up crossed fingers. "It's kinda riding on this chemistry test today. What about you?"

"Same. Hopefully cast," Geneva smiled lightly before offering her hand. "Geneva Kelly."

"Oh, so you're Geneva."

"Yes?" She furrowed her eyebrows in confusion as he took her hand.

"No! No-God-I-it's just that-" the man stammered before containing himself. "I'm Ben Fankhauser. We have our chemistry test together."