[2]

Two weeks had passed since the chemistry test and Geneva Kelly was growing restless. She paced in Arielle's room as Arielle was hard at work at her sewing machine. Being an aspiring fashion designer, Arielle used Geneva as her model/guinea pig. "I mean, obviously I don't have the role. They said they'd let us know soon. We've passed soon! You would think they would have told us if I didn't have it!" Geneva yelled in frustration as Arielle attempted to focus at her sewing machine.

"Shut up, G! You don't know that yet," Arielle finished the final stitch and held the garment she was working on up with a triumphant smile. It was a beautiful black dress with spaghetti straps and a sweetheart neckline. "It's finished! Try it on!"

"Are you even listening? I'm having a crisis over here!" Geneva huffed as she slumped onto Arielle's bed in defeat.

"Get your dramatic ass up and stop feeling sorry for yourself. They can call at any moment," Arielle set her dress on the table and walked over to the side of her bed. She offered her hand to her roommate. Geneva folded her arms in defiance, determined to stay on the bed. "Geneva Kelly Anderson! Get your ass up and put this dress on!"

Geneva grumbled as she rolled off the bed. Arielle smiled to herself, satisfied with her work. She grabbed the dress off of her sewing table and handed it to her roommate. Geneva took it and glared at her before pulling her T-shirt over her head. She slipped into the black dress with it fitting her like a glove.

"Damn, did I do a good job or what?" Arielle admired her work as she circled Geneva who was grumbling. "Quit being a baby! I made you look hot!"

Suddenly, her phone started buzzing from the bed. Geneva maneuvered over to the phone and noticed that it was an Unknown caller. She slid her thumb across the screen and held it up to her ear. "Hello?"

"Hello, may I speak to Geneva Kelly please?"

"This is she," Geneva furrowed her eyebrows together. Arielle tried to judge the phone call based on her face and mouthed speakerphone. Geneva obliged, setting the phone into speakerphone mode.

"Hello, Miss Kelly," the man on the phone's voice echoed in Arielle's room. "My name is Justin Huff, I'm the casting director for Newsies. We spoke before about your callbacks."

Geneva was in shock. This isn't happening. "Um, h-hello Mr. Huff. How are you?" Geneva started fumbling over her words as she nervously thought about why they would be calling now. Maybe they're just tying up loose ends.

"I'm fine. And please, call me Justin since you're now a part of the Newsies family."

Part of the Newsies family. Geneva froze for a second as those words started to sink in. Arielle gasped and started jumping up and down excitedly, grabbing Geneva's hands. The redhead stood still in shock, still processing it. Arielle quickly muted the phone and screamed. "BITCH! YOU GOT THE PART!" This grabbed Geneva's attention and time started again for her. She unmuted the phone and started stammering as she excitedly accepted the offer. "Are you serious?! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!" Arielle pulled Geneva into a tight hug.

"Of course, Geneva. We start rehearsals on Monday in the Paper Mill Playhouse."

"Alrighty then, Mr. Huff-er-Justin! I'll see you on Monday!"

"Okay, Geneva, see you then-"

"Wait!" Geneva said a little too loud, making herself jump. Arielle held her arms up, confused about Geneva's jumpiness. "Justin, I'd actually prefer going by Neva. Neva Kelly."

***

Neva drew in a deep breath as she walked towards the room where the cast of Newsies would rehearsing for the next six weeks. "Neva?" A slightly familiar voice called out to the redhead, making her turn her head slightly. A smiling Ben Fankhauser walked towards her, bringing a smile to her face. "Hey! You got the part!"