Chapter Five

Not gonna hurt you my ass, Luca thought as he put a bandaid over a cut near his left eye. He grimaced at the tenderness there before looking up at the door where Jackson had left.

He was awfully tempted to make a go of trying to escape, but he wasn't stupid. Jackson was right; he had no idea where he was at and how to navigate the area, let alone the fucking house-- oh sorry, mansion. The thought made Luca shudder in revulsion, especially as he scanned the expensive shit in the room. The desktop computer had to be over a thousand dollars in itself, plus a shoe rack that looked like it was carved out of fucking marble and filled to the brim with the kind of shoes Luca had only ever seen on the QVC.

Yeah, the alpha was loaded and it gave Luca pause.

If he could take even one watch back with him, he'd be able to pay for at least a four months supply of suppressants. On top of that, maybe even his rent if he got a second one in his pocket. Fuck, he could just rip the guy off completely. If he was like any omega worth his salt, he'd seduce the bastard and mate him and live the rest of his life well off.

Except he really didn't give a shit about living well off, did he?

No, he had a job to do and sadly, it left no room for something like a mating. Not that Luca would mate with anyone in the first place. He'd rather deal with his heat for three or five days a month than let some alpha take control of him. No, he'd seen plenty of omegas get romanced by charming alphas, only to end up in abusive controlling relationships. That lifestyle just wasn't for him.

So he didn't think too far ahead. All he thought about was the task at hand.

Finding his mother and giving her a little payback.

He just hadn't gotten to the actual finding part yet.

Which was kind of hard when you were dirt fucking poor.

Luca grimaced, reaching up to rub his hands over his face in frustration before he rose to his feet slowly. His muscles quivered, protesting at the movement. What he really wanted to do was curl up in bed and sleep, but he wasn't about to drop his defenses anymore than he already had. For all he knew, the alpha could've touched him in his sleep.

Shaking off that particular disgust, Luca moved around the room to try and get some strength back into his body, which was hard. His body begged him to rest, begged him to sleep. He ignored the warning signs of exhaustion and stress. He walked around the room, tried to occupy his train of thought with the shit in the room.

And there was a lot of it.

The guy had bookshelves crammed full of medical books. From the basics to things Luca couldn't even fucking read. Was it English? Who fucking knew? He sure as hell didn't. There were even books and articles written by someone named Aurora Colt. Was the alpha already mated perhaps? That was a load off his mind, considering most mated alphas didn't tend to have sex outside their matings. Some said they couldn't even get it up for anyone other than their mate.

But then why did the guy buy him?

The more Luca wandered the room, the more confused he became. Why would someone like Jackson Colt buy him? The alpha clearly had everything he could ever want. He could mate with some high class omega and have little celebrity babies and live a full and happy life. Why the hell had he gone to a black market auction to buy an omega? It just made no sense. The guy seemed to have a pretty basic easy going life.

At least, that was what Luca thought until he sat at the computer desk. His legs were like pudding and he couldn't move anymore, so he'd sat down in the spinning leather chair, turning to the computer and bumping the mouse in the process. In doing so, he'd brought up a news article with the headline LOCAL HUMANITARIAN KILLED IN TRAGIC CAR ACCIDENT.