▪ Chapter Twenty-six ▪

The blazing sun beat down on my shoulders, further exhausting my already tired body

The blazing sun beat down on my shoulders, further exhausting my already tired body. The heavy backpack weighed me down along with the dark hoodie I had thrown over my tank top. Yes, it made me hotter but it meant that less of my skin was exposed to the sun now that simple amenities like sunscreen were no longer taken for granted. The more layers I had on also meant there were more layers between my flesh and the dead's gnashing teeth and claws. I knew it was unlikely to be helpful but the thin fabric barrier made me feel just that little bit more protected. 

 If it weren't for the fact that my baby sister's life was at stake, I might've enjoyed the weather. In this situation though, the heat was just another hindrance, forcing me to consume more water than I had to spare. I had just over half a bottle of water left, if that, and I wasn't even there yet, nevermind the fact that I was already dehydrated. I just hoped I wouldn't faint anytime soon under the intense physical exertion.

A quick glance at the weighty gold watch on my right wrist confirmed the time. 11:15. I had been walking for just over three hours now, stopping briefly only to drink and eat as much as I dared to. As it turned out, my guesses had been fairly accurate and once I had found the interstate, navigation was easy.

My boots were almost soundless against the concrete as I purposefully stepped lightly and cautiously, too scared to break the silence. The only sound to be heard was the slight clicking of the knives shifting in my boots with every step, painfully reminding me of how far away the hospital still was. Although, despite how uncomfortable and strange they felt in my shoe, their presence was oddly comforting. In fact, all of the weapons I carried - the knives, the gun strapped to my leg and the rifle slung around my shoulder - they all emanated the feeling of safety. It was the weirdest feeling to have and I couldn't help but think just how messed up it was that people could only feel safe whilst possessing these deadly weapons. 

No matter how wrong it was, I couldn't deny that weapons were a necessity in the world today. Going outside without one, or even with one, was reckless and dangerous. Hell, I had been walking for a long time now and I had passed too many Infected to count. Fortunately, I hadn't come across more than a group of two or three at a time and I was easily able to avoid their slow, lumbering forms. Regardless of the little threat they posed, I couldn't help the icy shiver of dread that ran down my spine. A small group I could deal with, but a horde? That was an entirely different matter. 

So far, I had been running completely on luck. I had no plan for if I were to encounter a large group of the Infected, my primary instinct to simply avoid the threats as they came. My tactic seemed to be working so far, seeing as I was at least three-quarters of the way there and hadn't to endure any serious altercations. 

As I continued walking I could make out two stumbling figures about a hundred feet away. More of the Infected. I swiftly moved to the other side of the street in an attempt to give them as wide a berth as possible, groaning as I stepped out of the shade that the buildings had to offer. They began to walk in my direction as I neared them, their sensitive noses no doubt easily picking up my scent.