Chapter 81: A School For Umbrellas

Jellybean POV
I hated this already. Only three students had been called so far and they had to get up, get off the stage, walk across the front of it, and then get a 'diploma' whilst being applauded. Lordy it was lame. Right after the fourth name was called the back door of the gym swung open and in walked Soleil herself. Adelaide's parents hadn't bothered to show, it really made it seem like Soleil was getting to be a good big sister, but I would never be able to forgive her for what she took away from me. I tensed instantly and the whole audience whipped around to see who it was. Jughead whispered something to Dad, I assumed he was telling him who the new comer was.

After the slight commotion, the ceremony continued. There was a clock situated high up on the back wall of the gym, I watched each second tick by and one seemed to be equivalent to ten. I only snapped back to reality once I heard Seth's name being called...that means I'm next. Jughead and Dad didn't clap for him, but everybody else did. Aren't people's hands getting tired by now? My ex-friend quickly returned to the seat next to me. "Forsythia Jones." I stood up at the sound of my own name being called and started to make my way off the stage. "Who's Forsythia?" Somebody mumbled, causing slight laughter. I felt myself turn even redder than I already was. I swear maybe I'll have to stop going by 'Jellybean' in high school.

I walked at a brisk pace along the front of the stage. Dad was taking pictures just like I expected him to. This whole thing was pretty anticlimactic. There was soon an envelope in my hand that contained the mock diploma and after shaking hands with Principal Freeman, I found myself back on stage. Things seemed to move along faster now that my turn was over. Pretty soon, every grade eight had had their recognition. Judging by the most likely inaccurate time on the clock, there were only fifteen more minutes left until the end of the day.

"Before you are dismissed, I'd like to say a few words." Mr. Cassidy was now standing on the stage in front of us, addressing the audience rather professionally. It hit me then that tomorrow would be my last ever day of middle school. This is it, I thought, this is really it. "Most of you probably are completely unaware of who I am," Bouts of laughter were audible throughout the crowd. "so, hi there. I'm
Mr. Cassidy and I had the pleasure of acting as the drama teacher for the majority of the school year." He began.

"Now, I know what you're thinking. Shouldn't a real teacher or even the principal be making this speech? And yeah, you're probably right. But you already got that speech at the beginning of the ceremony and now, it's my turn. The reason I wanted to speak today was simple, during academic classes, students don't usually get to be themselves. Instead, they're told to be quiet and do their work. So, teachers don't really get to know your children. But to tell you the truth, I do. In Drama, I find that I learn a lot about each and every student." Mr. Cassidy had everybody's attention.

"Whether it was their favourite movie, the first thing they think of to talk about for thirty seconds," The student body chuckled, all reminiscing about that certain drama class. "or just how confident they are on stage, I feel that I got to see a different side of your students that their other teachers, well, they just don't get to see it. So, I speak with the confidence that only a drama teacher could have when I tell you that theses kids...well, these kids are going to go far. Even if they don't know it yet. Wherever the future takes you guys," He said, turning around to face us. "I know that it's going to be somewhere successful." He paused and spun back around.

"Thank you." He finished. The applause was much louder now, because what Mr. Cassidy had said actually meant something to us. I let what he had spoke about sink in and to tell you the truth, my drama teacher knew me better than any other academic teacher at the school. Maybe it's because he had helped me get out of some trouble, or maybe it's because he was there when I was kidnapped, but he had seen a side of me that not many people do. I could feel a smile slowly spread across my face.