Chapter Eleven - What the hell do you think you're doing?

Maryland, the Bug had stopped in Maryland but what was there was a mystery to Maria. It didn't pass Maria that the DODC storage facility was near that location and she feared what it meant but more significantly she feared what Peter was going to do with the knowledge of this location. It had bugged Maria all morning but she could not think of what was going to happen – one thing she knew for certain was that she could not read Peter's mind but she knew he was so intent on being the big superhero, an Avenger, that he would do something reckless which was not desirable in the least.

Despite the bigger world issues, she was facing, Maria still had school to attend. The day drawled on as usual until after school came about and Michelle dragged Maria to the Decathlon meeting. The next day the Decathlon team was going to be driving down to Washington DC for the Academic Decathlon, national championship. It was a big deal and everyone was excited for it. They had all gathered in the library and were talking about their upcoming plans, Maria chipping in with some practice advice for Liz (who was desperately trying to get Maria to come with them still), when suddenly a familiar face appeared at the end of the table beside Ned who hesitantly was taking a seat beside Michelle who gave him one of her rare small smiles. Everyone greeted Ned and Peter who was anxiously looking at the table but mainly Liz who was staring intriguingly up at Peter – the look they shared sent a pang of jealousy through Maria but she quashed it down as she narrowed her eyes on Peter – what was he up to?

"Hey, I was hoping I could re-join the team" Peter announced. Of course, considering how smart Peter was, second to Maria, the team was all but ready to take him back except for one person, Flash.

"No, no way. You can't just quit on us, stroll up and be welcomed back by everyone" Flash argued and for once Maria agreed with Flash. Maria just knew that Peter was not re-joining the team to re-join the team, he had ulterior motives but Maria couldn't figure out what. What did he gain from coming back on the team? 

"Of course, Peter" Mr Harrington overruled with a bright smile; it was clear he had desperately wanted Peter back as well. "Flash, you're back to first alternate."

"What?" Flash gawked as his head snapped back around to look at Mr Harrington who sat at the head of the rectangular table.

"He's taking your place" Abraham pointed out meanwhile Maria's gaze lifted to Peter who was sharing a secret look with Ned as he took a seat at the table. What was going on?

~8~

The next morning the Decathlon team was gathered around a yellow school bus all wearing the yellow blazers of their school for the meet. Although Maria was supposed to be in class, she had claimed to be heading for the bathroom just so that she could catch Michelle and say goodbye. As Maria ran up to the bus, she spotted all of the team chatting away amongst each other, Peter and Ned were of course off to the side chatting secretively but Maria ignored them and moved towards Michelle who was stood with her nose buried in another one of her books.

"MJ, you can read on the bus" Maria commented, however, her best friend just held up a finger at Maria whilst she clearly finished the line she was reading. Slowly, Michelle closed the book and lifted her gaze to Maria who was stood patiently waiting.

"Hey, I can't believe you're not coming" Michelle commented, it was rare to see Michelle vulnerable but it was clear that the girl was going to miss her best friend who would have made the trip more interesting to say the least.

"Yeah well, the team doesn't need me they have you" Maria said with a cheesy smile. Michelle just scoffed but lowered her head as a reluctant smile graced her features – Maria was one of a few people who could get Michelle to smile. The couple spoke for a few more minutes before Mr Harrington appeared from the bus and Maria realised she was pushing it to get back to class. With a few words, Mr Harrington began ushering the teenagers onto the bus. Maria quickly hugged Michelle who barely gave her one back, but the one hand that graced Maria's back told her Michelle was going to miss her.