11: Through the Thinning Layers

Emerging from the dank hole, a crowd of strange faces watched as I climb over the rim

Emerging from the dank hole, a crowd of strange faces watched as I climb over the rim. Finally, on my feet, I lengthened my spine and scanned the musty, cramped space and every face that occupied it. Scrawny faces stared back from the dimly lit room, with their sunken eyes and frail bodies. Tens upon tens of complete strangers.

Although there were many light sources in the ceiling of the room, only a single light glowed from the back corner, casting shadows and silhouettes that made my imagination soar. What was I seeing? What was going on?

Someone pushed through the crowd, and I made out the familiar handsome face of Vince as he approached. "Connor, you okay?" His voice carried a hint of relief as a sigh escaped him.

I took a step toward him, reaching out for him, and he mimicked me. Our fingertips nearly touched. Then an order sounded from behind him.

"Stop him!"

A man from the crowd seized Vince's forearm, preventing him from further nearing me.

"Hands off, asshole." Vince shoved him and the man stumbled backward into the gasping crowd. We rushed toward each other, our hands clutched, but it was too late. The man who had escorted me grabbed my elbow and yanked me back. The crowd quickly parted, allowing Vince's escort through to seize him. Frantic whispers and voices immediately filled the room.

"Keep them separated until Emily's had a chance to talk to them," my escort told the other. "It's all right, folks. Make room. Nothing to worry about. We got this."

A female voice washed out the others. "Where's John and the rest of them?"

"Yeah," another voice cried out. "Where's everybody?"

No answer was given.

My escort pushed me through the parted crowd. "Keep moving. Follow them."

I looked ahead, through the darkness, and at the back of Vince's head as he and his escort made it through the sea of people. "Where's Tamara?"

"Just keep moving." Another shove made me stumble.

Not getting an answer assuring Tamara's safety made anger rise in my chest. I spun on my heels to face the man. I scowled even though the deep scars on his face took me by surprise. "Tell me where my partner is." Nothing but pure anger raced through me, and for a moment, I wondered if the meds that traveled Vince's veins prevented him from living with the kind of rage I felt. They pushed us around, abused us, but I wasn't going to take another step until he assured me she was fine. Heat flushed my skin, and I envisioned my knuckles slamming into my captor's nose if he didn't answer in the next two-point-five seconds. "Where is she?" My fist clenched at my side.

"She's in the infirmary up there. That's where you're headed too. Now go on."

I exhaled my fury, only ridding myself of a fraction of it, and continued after Vince.