Book II | 9: Going Home

Thanksgiving dinners were the best, better than all the dinners Em and I prepared in the year

Thanksgiving dinners were the best, better than all the dinners Em and I prepared in the year. This particular day, after I do my part in the kitchen, Connor, with his four-year-old energy and enthusiasm, jumps into my arms. My laugh can be heard several blocks down Main, I'm sure.

"Tell me more about Refuge Inc., Daddy." His tiny voice draws attractive little lines around Em's smiling eyes. Calling the lines "crows' feet" elicits giggles from Connor every time.

She places a hand on her hip and with the other, points the wooden spoon at me. "Don't traumatize the boy with stories of evil villains and men who grow green with rage, or you'll be staying up with him tonight."

I stick my tongue out at her, and she playfully returns the gesture.

"These stories don't scare you, huh, buddy?"

"Tell me about Titan." His eyes grow big with excitement. "I like doggies."

"Well, Titan was rescued from a fallen building by two tough guys who liked doggies too. You want to know how Titan repaid them?"

"Uh-huh." He does a half nod.

"Titan ended up saving the tough guys too. They finally realized that the love they had for each other was what helped them fight to stay alive."

"Fight!" Connor pumps his tiny fist in the air as he cheers, "Fight, fight, fight."

I chuckle at his innocence. "Yes, fight! And you want to know what else?"

Another half nod. "Uh-huh?"

"They lived happily ever after."

"Yay, yay, yay!"

"I love you, little guy."

"I love you too, Daddy."

"And I love you both." Em holds a dish in her hands. "Food's done."

The aroma hits my nostrils and I can't get enough of the satisfying and familiar scent.

I lick my lips as sudden extreme hunger and thirst hit me. I ogle the dish and take another breath, inhaling the wonderful scent of ... licorice.

~~~

My eyes snapped open to darkness on all sides. My face mask was still snug against my face, and my fingers were still entangled with Patrick's. Had I just experienced a lucid dream or was reality melding into my memories as I slept?

I sniffed the air to be sure, and after a couple inhales, a faint trace of licorice entered my nostrils.

I choked on my gasp, springing to my feet without a clue of where to go or what to do. My heart thumped so hard and fast, the pulse in my temples throbbed and ached. I held my breath and looked to Patrick, who reclined against the trench wall, immobile, sleeping.