5

The whole evening and the next morning you and Louis avoided each other. You spent most of your time with either Ruby or Violet and didn't mention Louis' name even once.

The funny thing was, you didn't even know why you were avoiding each other. For some reason, he was mad at you, and tou were mad at him right back.

You and Ruby sat together on one of the steps in the grand staircase, just making conversation to pass some time.

"Did something happen with you and Louis?" Ruby asked after a while. "I mean, usually you're with him all the time."

You sighed and looked in the direction to where Louis was talking with Omar and Aasim. He looked like he was having a lot of fun without you.

"I don't know what's up with him." You said. "He's just been giving me the cold shoulder since yesterday. I think I might've been too pushy."

"Eh, you'll figure it out. We all know that you two can't go long without talking to each other." Ruby reassured you with a kind smile.

Suddenly Willy came crashing inside the main building. He almost toppled because he'd ran at such speed. He rested his hands on his knees to catch his breath before he exclaimed: "Louis, you have to come with me. Now."

You and Ruby looked at each other with a surprised expression, but didn't think much of it. A few minutes later the door opened again, but this time Louis carried a familiar little boy in his arms. Clementine followed inside behind them.

AJ's shirt was bloodstained and it looked like he was passed out. Ruby immediately went to take a look at him, taking up her role as the group's doctor.

"I have what I need upstairs. Come on." She said and ushered Louis up the staircase.

Louis carried him all the way up the stairs and placed him on the worn out sofa in the right-wing corridor. You saw him flinch when he moved his left arm, where there was a hole in his jacket.

Clementine and Violet went to talk in the office while Ruby took care of the injured AJ. Louis calmed the boy down as Ruby cleaned his wounds.

You decided that you weren't needed right now and kept out of the way to not to disturb the others who were busy. Sometimes you thought about the fact that it didn't feel like tou had your own role in the group. Louis was the comedian, Omar was the chef, Ruby the doctor... But you? Nothing special.

Not too long after, Clementine, Ruby and Mitch headed to the greenhouse together. You decided that you would go to check up on AJ, since Ruby was done patching him up now, but when you got there you weren't the ony one.

"I'm so sorry, little dude. Please be okay."

Louis.

You just stood still for a while and watched as Louis spoke softly to the passed out AJ. It was only when he got up to leave that he noticed you.

His expression was surprised at first, but then it quickly turned regretful. You stood with crossed arms in front of your chest and blocked his way out from the corridor.

"I-" He put his hand behind his neck, as a habit when he was nervous or ashamed, or a combination of both. You raised an eyebrow to signal that you wanted him to speak.

"I'm sorry!" He said desperately. Your body language immediately softened, but you still wanted an explanaiton for his behaviour. "It's just that I don't want you to worry about me."

"What? Why?" You asked, not convinced.

"There are much more important things to be worried about. You shouldn't waste all your energy on me." He explained and avoided eye contact.

"Don't you get it? Louis, you're important to me!" You exclaimed. He was caught slightly off guard by your sudden outburst. After he had collected himself, a sad smile played on his lips.

"I don't think anyone's ever told me that." He said. "But I'm glad. You're important to me too, (y/n)."

"That's such a stupid reason to avoid me and give me the cold shoulder, though." You said, to which Louis only shrugged.

He stuck out his pinky finger, and by now he looked more like his usual, playful self.

"Pinky promise that we won't get into more petty fights?" He asked. You couldn't help yourself but to laugh.

"Pinky promise." You repeated and connected your pinkies.

"Friends again?"

"Yes. Friends again."

That same evening you were reading one of the books you had found in the headmaster's office, an old sleuth story, when Louis walked past you with a bunch of shirts in his arms.

"What are you doing with those?" You asked, now curious.

"I thought they might fit AJ. You know, since his shirt got all messed up when he was shot."

As he disappeared from your sight you couldn't help but smile. It wasn't that long ago that he had wanted them gone, but now he was taking care of AJ when he was hurt. He truly had a heart of gold.

When you went to return the book to the office someone was already seated in the headmaster's chair. It was Violet who was examining the map over the school and the safe zone.

"Hey there." You greeted her. After putting the book back in its shelf you went to look over her shoulder.

"Hey (y/n)... Clem and I have planned out defenses against the raiders." She told you without tearing her eyes from the map.

"Defenses against the raiders?" You asked, surprised. "Have I missed something?"

"When Clementine returned she told me that she had met a boy in the woods who was wearing skin or some shit. He had been watching the raiders and he said they were planning to come get the rest of us."

"Oh my..." You mumbled. You couldn't imagine any reasons as to why anyone would want a couple of kids. "So, what's the plan?"

"Well, Clem, Mitch and Ruby found a lot of things that could be of use in the greenhouse. Some barbed wire and stuff. We'll be covering up the gates and putting up different kinds of defenses in the courtyard. Mitch also promised to create some bombs."

"That does sound like Mitch." You said and Violet let out a light laugh.

"Yeah, it does. But we need everyone to help or it won't work. I thought we'd start tomorrow already."

"Okay. I'll do everything I can to help." You offered your services before exiting the office and leaving Violet alone to do her planning.

Judging from how Violet was making all these desicions, she had probably taken over the position that Marlon left behind. You had nothing against it though, as you knew that Violet would never trade anyone.

-

Thanks for reading yet another chapter!

I just realized that it's only a couple days left until the last episode is released and I'm NERVOUS. Unfortunately will I most likely not be able to play it before Friday evening next week bc I have a lot of schoolwork coming up.

And the trailer was BOMB but I'm not gonna say anything about it in case any of you don't want any spoilers before playing it.

First written March 22nd 2019
Edited August 9th 2021