Chapter Thirty

“This is Buckbeak!” Sirius was standing beside the hippogriff stroking the long, grey, feathered neck while his family stood in line a few feet away. “Now once you bow, wait for me to give the go-ahead then you can come say hello. Since he will be carrying a few of you on our trip it is very important he likes you. If not… well…” He grinned mischievously.

Alissa looked over the large blue grey creature with concern. The horse end she could manage, the beak and wings and feathers not so much. Together with Sirius they had discussed travel arrangements for the summer abroad and the good news was that she would not be riding Buckbeak, the bad… was that her kids would be. When weights added up it just wouldn’t work any other way getting the entire family of six across a great distance on a broom, they needed Buckbeak. The only question left was whether Danny would be on the broom with herself and Sirius or on Buckbeak with everyone else.

Lyla was bowing very low and keeping her eyes fixed on the ground when Sirius called her to come forward. Alissa watched, holding her breath as her eldest child approached the animal who was watching with piercing yellow eyes. Lyla reached out carefully and stroked Buckbeak slowly while Sirius laughed about her chicken keeping habits back in the cave. Alissa let out the breath she had been holding and watched once more with her heart thumping as Cory bowed very low and then moved forward to say hello.

When all the kids were safely gathered around Buckbeak who was thoroughly enjoying the attention, Alissa made her bow and approached. She tried very hard to just think of him as a horse and watch his movements carefully but it was nerve racking putting the lives of your children in the hands, or talons rather, of such a powerful animal.

“What did I tell you, he’s a great big suck” Sirius grinned “now let’s see about riding him.” He plucked Cory up off the ground easily even though he was a quickly growing nine year old, and positioned him at the front closest to Buckbeak’s neck. Next came Aquila who was giggling and excited when she wrapped her arms around her brother’s waist. Finally, Sirius gave Lyla a leg up and she tucked her knees carefully under the huge silver wings.

“What do you think Beak? Not a bad sized load, can you take one more?” Sirius pulled the rope around Buckbeak’s neck and walked him a few paces to check how comfortable he looked. “He looks good I think” he looked up to Alissa for her opinion and swiped at his long curly hair as it fell over his eyes.

“If we can fly just as quickly with Danny, I’d rather keep him with us but it’s up to you.” She answered honestly. The last time they had to fly as a group, Lyla was only two years old. Danny was now four and a half and a bit thicker than she had been. When they made the trip from the cave back to England, Sirius had flown one at a time on the broom, dropping them in the forest and then remained in dog form while Alissa moved the kids into the flat.

 Buckbeak did look fairly comfortable with his load, Lyla was tall and thin as was Cory for his age but she just wasn’t sure if she could trust Danny to hold on for such a long ride or avoid a squabble that would knock one of his siblings off.

“The broom will take the weight that isn’t a concern” Sirius answered thoughtfully “but speed might be an issue. Beak is fast and this group is almost nothing to him. I think we would make better time if Danny was with the kids.” Buckbeak was pawing the ground anxiously now, wanting a good flight. He had been tied at the little shed on Remus’s property for days and he was raring to go.

“Can we do anything to make it more safe?” Alissa chewed her bottom lip in thought and looked down at Danny who was wriggling in excitement, his grey eyes flashing.

“I’ll get Remus to help me make a harness with handles for everyone, maybe we can belt the little ones in.” Sirius led Buckbeak back over to his line and tied him up before helping the kids slip off and tossing Buckbeak a large dead rat.