8. Who let you out?

I waited for what seemed forever. I'd seen a movie, slept through another one and then had a second dinner. It was almost midnight when half of the group that had left, came back home. Kyle was amongst them. 

''Where are the others?'' I asked him. As I watched him hang up his coat, take off his shoes and search in his pockets for something, I gave him a quick glance over. He didn't seem to have a hair out of place. There was no blood on his clothes or face, no bruises either. It seemed as if he had just gone shopping. Nothing gang-related at all. 

"After we'd taken care of Di-, erm, the dealer," Kyle said, ''Stefan, Marcus and some of the others stayed behind to look for witnesses. They shouldn't be long.''
Something didn't feel right but I couldn't tell what. There was nothing weird about part of the gang searching for witnesses. But why was Stefan doing such a little job? Didn't he have more important work to do? That was also not the part that got me thinking.

''You were going to say Dilton, weren't you?'' I so hoped I was wrong. The Kyle I knew couldn't have done something like this, he wouldn't. He stood up for minorities, looked out for Laurence.

Surely, he couldn't...

But he confirmed my suspicion as he sighed and avoided looking into my eyes.

''You did not!'' I was so angry that I wanted to hit him, and so I did. Anger management wasn't really necessary in a gang. So I'd never learned to reign it in.

''That's supposed to hurt?'' Kyle snorted. The stupid idiot. He was acting so strange. It was as if he was already used to this life, not caring one bit.

"What did you do to Dilton?'' I shouldn't ask, I really shouldn't. Because I was not ready to hear the answer.

''Relax, he's alive. We gave him an ultimatum. Now it's up to him.''

"It's 'we' already, huh?''
There was something else I had to think about. Something, or someone?
I heard a gunshot outside, followed by a loud shriek. I'd recognize that shriek anywhere.

''Laurence!" I turned around and pounded against the door, wishing for it to open or to break into tiny pieces under my fists (which was very unlikely). Kyle was still standing behind me. I turned my head around and this time, he met my gaze.

''You heard it too, it's him.'' I was pleading with my eyes for him to open this goddamn door. He'd probably have access.

"Why would he- oh.'' It jus dawned on him. The witnesses. Laurence must've gone to Dilton again. He was at the wrong place at the wrong time. Half of the witnesses didn't survive the interrogation. And Laurence was not a fighter, at all. If we didn't do something quickly, he wouldn't survive the night.

''We shouldn't-'' Kyle started but I immediately cut him off.

"It's Laurence we're talking about!'' I was shouting now and a small crowd had gathered in the hall. Normally, I'd be pissed about that but I couldn't care less now. One of them put a hand on my shoulder and in my rage I threw it off, said ''Fuck off'' and was ready to turn around and knee whoever had dared to touch me, until he spoke. ''Don't you ever talk to me like that again, Elena.'' James was looking down on me and I felt so small. He didn't deserve my rage, not at all.

''I'm sorry James.'' I said. ''But I think Stefan is going to torture a friend of mine. And this assh-" I quickly changed the word I was going to use after seeing James narrow his eyes, '' – this idiot, won't even let me go and see.''

"He's a mutual friend.'' Kyle finally came to his senses. He stood next to me, we were a united front. This was more like the Kyle I knew and loved.

James thought for a second and then, to my surprise, opened the door. I thanked him and ran out, but still heard James shout ''The show is over" before the door closed. I had only once been outside, the day I'd arrived. So I had no idea where the interrogation chambers were.

Kyle did seem to know where it was and guided us towards a white building on the left of the main house. It had no windows, only a steel door. It was a little ajar and led to a dark hallway, only lit by white neon lights on the ceiling. There was another steel door. I didn't know what was behind it so I braced myself before pushing it open. 

The first thing I saw was Marcus, standing tall and focused. He was looking at a wall made out of glass. Kyle and I were now standing next to him. The glass was a one-way mirror, giving us a view of Laurence, Cherise and Joyce. They were huddled together on the ground, in front of an empty desk. 

Stefan was leaning against the wall, one foot up on the desk. His left hand was playing with the gun, twirling it around, while his right was tucked away in the pocket of his pants. He stood so casual, the complete opposite of how he was.

"It's not necessary to cry.'' Stefan said but neither Joyce nor Cherise stopped crying, if anything else, they cried harder. I knew it annoyed him, because it definitely annoyed me. What annoyed me even more, was the fact that Marcus hadn't even acknowledged us. How long was he going to keep this up? 

"He needs to let them go.'' I told Marcus, hoping he'd stop Stefan. But as usual, I was ignored. So I looked around, saw a door and tried it.

 ''Try again.'' Marcus didn't even look at me as he said it.

I swear there's no one else in this world who could make me this angry. I groaned and tried another door, which led to a hall with more doors. Awesome.

''First on your left.'' Kyle shouted as I walked further. How did he know that? This place is like a maze and he hasn't been here before, has he? He's only been here for one day. He also knew where the interrogation would be, something he shouldn't be able to know either. Unless he'd been here before.

 I shook the thoughts away because they weren't making any sense to me. I opened the first door on my left and was glad it was the right one. Stefan was now crouched right before the trio, his hand still twirling the gun, as if to constantly remind them it was there.

''Stefan." I announced myself but shouldn't have, as he was now pointing the gun at me.

"Whatever you want to fight about it, we can do it later.'' He hadn't even looked at me, he gave me the same treatment Marcus was giving me. I gave a quick glance at the mirror, knowing Marcus and Kyle were standing behind it, but only seeing myself.

''Listen to me.'' I walked over to them, positioning myself between Stefan and Laurence.
The former sighed and the latter gasped.

 ''Elena?'' Laurence's voice was barely a whisper, I'd never heard it like that. He was normally very loud, always making snarky comments. I briefly turned my head around to give him a wink and a smile, hoping it'd give him some comfort but quickly put my game face back on.

 "You can't hurt them.'' I hoped Stefan noticed how serious I was. I'd never be able to forgive myself if it were for my brother Laurence would get hurt. Stefan stood up and was now towering over me. But I was used to that, I wasn't very tall. ''And why's that?'' He said but he already knew by now. There was no use in explaining it. He just wanted me to give him a reason for not hurting them. Them being my friends was definitely not good enough.

''I'll stand in for them.'' I hoped I sounded strong. I hoped I didn't seem as weak as I felt.

Stefan chuckled.

"You will?'' He briefly looked at the glass behind me, before turning his gaze back to me. I nodded. Stefan sighed and put his gun away. 

''The three of you are very lucky, I hope you realise that. But if I ever see or hear from either of you again...'' My brother didn't need to finish his sentence. I could only hope they took his threat seriously. Stefan was just about the leave the interrogation room until he stopped and said:

''Who let you out the house anyway?''