What Are We?

It was a quarter past midnight and Callum sat alone in his room, staring at his reflection in a glass of water, wondering how things had ended up like this. Thinking logically about it, he didn't have much to complain about. His new house was big and spacious, with a large aquarium and organized chests filled with all sorts of tokens and trinkets from his many adventures. He had even amassed a collection of cool and exotic pets, like a manticore and a fairy horse. Yet he found himself feeling more alone than ever under the harsh red light of the Blood Moon. Things just hadn't been the same since those Harmony Hollow days so long ago. The plots, the adventures, the.... love?

Callum shook his head and sighed. -Was it really love? -Callum wondered, swishing the water in the glass-, or was it all just a game?

With every passing day it seemed to Callum as if Jack was more distant than ever, like the sun setting behind the faraway mountains, depriving him of its warmth. Talking to other people, joking about love, but never spending time with him. 

-I'm a fool, -He thought to himself-, and yet I can't seem to get him out of my head.

It was that stupid stupid smile, it was just so... so lovely. The way he talked, so unabashedly himself, the way his face got all swirly after long nights out on the town. Even the way he laughed drove Callum crazy, making him feel as warm and fuzzy as merch made from organic cotton in a renewable energy powered factory

-I have to see him tonight, -Callum clutched onto the friendship bracelet Jack had given him the last time he saw him-, I need to find out once and for all what we are.

Sparks and swirls filled his vision as the magic of the friendship bracelet transported Callum through time and space, and out into the cool night air of Jack's riverside home. 

-Callum... is that you?-