So Stupid

-I don't know what you're yammering on about, -Jack said tensely.- We're still friends, aren't we?

-Well it sure doesn't feel like it, -Callum responded.- Don't you remember? The second of March, 2018, the day of our wedding. It's been over a year now and I haven't head anything of..-

-We're not actually married mate, -Jack cut him off before he could continue.- We were just playing, it's a new world here and we're both single and ready to mingle.

-So all of that was, was just a game to you?- Callum shouted

-Hey, hey, easy now, don't go about getting your knickers in a twist, -Jack tried to explain,- It's just that, I'm not sure if we're cut out for each other. Yeah it was fun while it lasted, but..-

-But what? Was I not good enough for you, -Callum grew more agitated,- Was none of that real to you?

-I didn't mean it like that, -Jack countered,- Don't be so s..-

The sound of an explosion cut him off before he could finish. As the pair of young men had argued, both had lost track of the world around them. Not one of them had taken notice when the wind that had been whistling through the tops of the trees stopped, and the sound of pattering feet behind them gave way to a distinctive and sickening hiss. Both were caught completely off guard when a Creeper's explosion yeeted them through the air, tossing them a few yards away in a disheveled heap. 

Callum's scorpion armor took the brunt of the explosion, safeguarding him from very much harm, but the same could not be said about Jack. The younger man's amourless body was defenseless to  harm inflicted by the Creeper's blast, and he lay on his back gasping for breath as his one life slowly drained from him. Callum scrambled onto his hands and knees, crawling over to his beloved. 

-Jack!- Callum cried out in anguish, - No, no, this can't be happening

The bitter taste of remorse filled Callum's mouth as he watched Jack struggle to say something. -I should have just waited until we reached safety, -Callum thought to himself. 

-Is that a totem of undying in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?- Jack managed to sputter out, a cheeky grin on his face as he remembered old times.

It was only then that Callum felt a distinctive weight at his side. He had forgotten that he had held onto one of the gifts Jack had given him after their wedding. It was a totem of undying, from a woodland mansion somewhere in old Harmony Hollow. In a heartbeat, Callum fished it out of his inventory space and pressed it against Jack's chest. The strange totem began to glow with a shimmering golden aura the blinded both of them momentarily. As the light faded and the totem vanished, the two found themselves looking deeply into each other's eyes. Had he waited any longer, it could have been too late. 

-You're so stupid.-

-Only when I'm with you.-

The two lovers laughed, relief flooding their bodies, and then Callum took Jack into his arms and the young men locked lips, savoring the feeling of being together again. 

-Maybe we weren't meant for each other, -Callum thought to himself,- But I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts.

-Let's get going, shall we? I don't want to be out during the blood moon any longer than we have to be.-

With that, the two of them set off through the dark woods, towards home and a new future.