Part 5: If You Say No

Cyrus' POV

After Andi finally feels confident with her parallel parking job, she, Buffy, Jonah, and I all step out of the car and start walking toward our destination. 

"Sorry we're so far," Andi says. "I wish there were space to park closer, but there isn't."

"It's okay," Jonah responds with a smile. 

We all continue down to sidewalk, making our way toward Zilo's house. Zilo is a fairly popular girl in games with me. Along with being vegan and willing to drink anything with alcohol in it, she and Kira, who also works in games, like to throw parties frequently at Zilo's house. Today, Andi and Jonah wanted Buffy and I to come to the party, because it a (not at all official) celebration of the start of Adrenaline City's full-time operation starting this Saturday. Then the park will be open daily until school starts again in September. 

"Is this it?" Buffy asks as we approach the source of muffled music blasting.

"Yup," Andi says, taking a step onto the driveway. 

We follow Andi up the porch and through the front door. Immediately, the smell of marijuana hits me, and I examine the packed space. It's filled with teenagers I recognize from work. In the living room, Zilo and Kira both stand with the classic red cups in their hands as they watch some boy try to do a headstand on the carpet. 

"Remind me why we're here again," Buffy says. 

"We're being social," Andi replies. "Just try and talk to people."

At that moment, a couple of guys come up to Jonah, and Jonah greets them with a smile and a fist bump for each of them. As he starts talking to the guys, Andi, Buffy, and I continue walking through the house. When we get to the kitchen, Andi spots someone in the crowd, and Buffy and I follow her over to him. 

"Walker!" she calls. "I didn't know you worked at Adrenaline City."

He grins when he sees Andi, setting his drink down on the counter. "I'm in games with Cyrus." he gives me a nudge on the shoulder. 

"Yup," I say. "He's always juggling whenever he's at a game with three of any type of round object."

"You can juggle?" Andi says in surprise.

"You wanna see?" Walker asks. 

He reaches into the bowl of fruit on the counter by the sink and picks out three apples. Then he tosses one up into the air, then another, and soon all three are flying. Andi laughs in awe as he juggles, but Buffy's attention is shifted when a boy taps her on the shoulder. 

"Do I know you?" he asks with a grin. 

Buffy puts a hand on her hip. "You would know if you knew me." Then she gives him a harder look and says, "Wait, are you in rides?"

He smiles and extends out his hand. "Marty Shores."

"Buffy Driscoll," she says, taking his hand to give it a single firm shake. 

While Buffy and Marty start chatting, I look around to see if I can spot anyone else I know. Specifically, I was hoping to find TJ, but my scan through the crowded space tells me that even if he is here, it's unlikely that I'll be able to find him without getting lost on the way. 

Having accepted that my friend is far from being in sight, I step back over to where Andi and Walker are, seeing that Walker has now moved on to juggling bananas. 

TJ's POV

I lean against the wall as I watch the game of truth of drink happening around me, which involves Megan, Kira, and Zilo. I'd rather not be here. I didn't want to come in the first place, but Megan needed someone to drive, so here I am. 

"Okay," Megan says as she laughs, tipsy from the game. "Have you ever slept with a guy you just met?" she asks Zilo. 

Zilo grins then takes a shot, letting us know her answer without actually telling us. The girls laugh together, and I cross my arms over my chest, eager for the party to be over. 

"Why don't you play?" Megan asks me. 

"I told you," I respond. "I don't drink."

She lets out a sigh of exasperation. "Come on, TJ. Live a little."

"Megan, I'm driving," I remind her. 

She rolls her eyes, saying, "Whatever."

She turns back to the girls, but I step away, wanting to find somewhere quieter than this room of teenagers to be. As I wind around groups of kids, I search for an empty space. When I get to the stairs, I see two kids swapping spit against the railing. Disgusted by the sight, I hurry as fast as I can up the steps. 

The second floor is much calmer. There doesn't appear to be anyone up here, so I walk into the first open doorway and take a seat on the bed to let my mind regroup. There are far too many people here for my liking, and, honestly, I just want to go home, but Megan's still relying on me to drive her. As annoyed as I am with her, I'm not going to risk something happening to her if I leave.

All of a sudden, I hear a knock, and I look up to see Jazlyn standing in the doorway. 

"So you come to parties to be alone, huh?" 

I smile, happy to see a nice face rather than my irritating girlfriend. 

"It's a little crowded downstairs," I explain. 

She walks over and sits down next to me on the bed. 

"I get it," she says. "My friends pressured me into coming tonight, but I'd much rather be at home watching a movie or something."

"Yeah," I say. "Megan made me come, because she needs someone to drive her home later."

Jazlyn tilts her head, her eyes on me. "That's not a very great thing for a girlfriend to do."

"I guess not," I agree. 

Then she scoot a little closer to me and locks her eyes onto mine. 

"You know, if I were your girlfriend," she says, "I wouldn't make you go to a party you didn't want to go to. If you say no, I wouldn't push it."

Her eyes flicker to my lips, and I sense her leaning in. 

"Are you saying no?" she whispers. 

I don't answer but let her lips press to mine. The kiss is better than kissing Megan, probably because Jazlyn actually seems to care about me. As we make out for what feels like too long, I wonder how people like this. To me it just seems kind of gross, but I guess this is supposed to be fun with someone you like. And I do like Jazlyn—I think. 

Suddenly, a voice echoes through the room, causing me to pull away. 

"TJ?"

I turn my head to see Megan standing in the doorway, her face showing her shock clear as day. Fuck, I think to myself. I screwed up. 

A/N: Don't hate me. Don't kill me. It's all going to be OKAY. Love you all! Bye!