7. My gaze traveled from one end of the classroom and stopped on Harper......

Chapter Seven: My gaze traveled from one end of the classroom and stopped on Harper, because he was staring right at me with a stony face.

"Ok, you have stalled long enough. Now you will tell us what happened!" Samantha's voice was determined like her whole personality. Samantha and Natalie sat down across me on the cafeteria table.

I cringed. I had been trying to escape my inquisitive friends since yesterday night. They had absolutely no idea why I left them at the party, when we were supposed to have fun. They had no idea who dropped me and why I ran away in the first place.

I didn't pick up their calls yesterday night, hoping they would think that I had fallen asleep. And in school, I evaded them in the two classes I shared with them.

But now I had no choice. I had to tell them. I have never hidden anything from them in all the years we have been friends and the guilt had been weighing me down.

Taking a deep breath, I looked up from my plate of spaghetti and meatballs to meet the eyes of my two best friends.

They looked at me expectantly and I started telling them everything. About Aiden telling me where to find Harper, to finding him on the balcony kissing some girl, to dancing with him, to being kissed forcefully by him, to slapping him and then to go home crying.

After my rambling ended, I could clearly see that they were angry and disappointed. Well, I would be too if some pathetic guy would mess with either of my best friends in the way Harper had been messing with me.

I stole a french fry from Samantha's plate and she scowled at me. She maybe a mother hen, but you don't dare mess with her food. I chuckled and popped the fry in my mouth.

"And you know what's the most weird thing that happened. I was in the girl's washroom during the class before and Harper came in there." They exchanged curious glances with each other and then looked back at me, silently asking me to continue."And then he said that he was rejecting me. And then simply ran out of the washroom."

I giggled thinking about the strange encounter I had with him. But when I didn't hear any other giggles, I stopped and stared in their eyes which held pity for me. Pity? Why the hell are they pitying me?

I arched an eyebrow and they again looked at each other.
Both of them held my hands and gave me sympathetic glances.

"The nerve of him! How dare he reject her!" Natalie fumed. Samantha discreetly put her hand on Natalie's and give her a pointed look. Well, the action wasn't quite discrete if I could see it.

Then they both looked at me with concerned expressions. Their synchronization was so spooky. They had done it many times before, but it didn't makes it any less weird.

"Oh, honey we are with you, you know that right." Samantha gave me a soft smile.

"Yeah, obviously. We are with you. How are you feeling anyway?"

What?

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion."Um, what the hell are you talking about ?" I looked from Samantha to Natalie, and back to Samantha again.

"Oh, Zara, you will get through this. You are a strong girl."

"Yeah, you don't need to act like this. You can share your pain with us. It won't do you any good to bottle it up."

Hun? "What pain?"

They both looked at each other again with confused glances.

"When Harper said that he rejects you, didn't you feel any pain? Like a lot of pain? As if your heart is shattering in a million little pieces?" Samantha spoke softly. I didn't know how her voice could get any softer.