XXIII

It was already afternoon by the time they had reached an abandoned building.And Valerie wasn't particularly happy with the image of it.With her backpack on she followed after Steve and Natasha who were making small talk about the place.

By the time they had entered the building the sun was already set and barely the light from the moon on the sky helped.They moved slowly as Natasha held her phone high,a beeping sound coming out of it ever so often."This camp is where I was trained."Steve said as he looked around.He was holding his shield on his arm just in case anything bad happened.

"Changed much?"Natasha asked a little louder than necessary as she kept her phone high.Valerie followed behind her looking around the place.It almost seemed haunted in this hour.Steve had stayed a bit behind,probably feeling nostalgic of this place,since he was looking at a spot very fondly.

"This is a dead end.Zero heat signature,zero waves,not even radio."Natasha said as she placed her phone back inside her pocket."Whoever wrote the file must have used a router to throw people off."Steve turned his head to the building ahead of them."What is it?"

"Army regulations forbid storing ammunition within five hundred yards of the barracks.This building is in the wrong place."Steve replied as the trio headed for the door.With his shield Steve broke the lock and opened the door.They lowered themselves into a staircase before Natasha found a switch.

All the yellow lights turned on giving a vintage hue to the whole place.A logo stood in the far off wall along with many rows of empty offices.

"This is S.H.I.E.L.D."Natasha stated as they walked down the big room.

"Maybe where it started."Steve said back as he looked around the dusty room.They walked slowly around the place,passing the logo that wrote S.S.R. instead of what Natasha said S.H.I.E.L.D.Maybe that was it's name during the war.It was extraordinary seeing something so old in front of her she almost stayed behind gawking at it.

The three entered a different room, being greeted with three portraits.Each image dusty and yellow from time.

"There's Stark's father."Natasha nodded ahead to the middle portrait.A man slightly smirking stood there with a thin mustache.His eyes being a copy of Tony's as she remembered him.

"Howard."Steve stated.

"And I thought my father's beard looked ridiculous."Valerie said quietly.Natasha throwing her an amused smirk.

"Who's the girl?"the redhead asked.A woman smiling back at them,was in the portrait next to Howard's.Her hair were dark and wavy,almost touching her shoulders.She was what they called in the 40s a natural beauty.Steve didn't reply at all to Natasha's question and turned to continue walking down the room.He seemed expressionsless.So this meant that she was someone for him.His old sweetheart perhaps?

"If you're already working in a secret office..."Steve started as he stood beside a massive empty bookshelf.He suddenly grabbed it and slid it open revealing a big elevator."Why do you need to hide the elevator?"the blond voiced her thoughts as they entered it and went down to a different room.

The smell of oldness welcomed her nostrils as they hesitantly stepped into the room.The lights around them suddenly switching on on their own as they walked further down the room.A few old computers sat there with a thick coat of dust surrounding them.

"This can't be the data-point,this technology is ancient."Natasha scoffed as she looked around the old computers.Her gaze found a flash drive port which seemed new all around the old technology.She took out the flash drive and placed it in.More lights opened as the computers started to work around them.