Chapter 3

Hoisting myself up, I immediately start sprinting across the grass. The tunnel vision I encounter when I whip my head up subsides with the reality of the situation. No thinking, just run.

The boys notice me after about 10 paces and chase after me, hooting and hollering with excitement. I make it to the woods, dodging the heavy brush and lining trees. The running reminds me of all the crazy times I had with Marcus.

 We would often go on walks after school. Occasionally, we would goof around and I would start running down the sidewalk, giggling all the way. He would chase after me full speed doing the same. Replace the happiness with fear and leave the laughing to the pursuer and that's how I basically feel in this moment in time.

I weave through the oak trees, pushing past the stubborn branches. Hopeful wishes start to creep into my mind when I run well without faltering steps. That is until I trip on a stumpy root. I fall to the ground, feeling a shearing tear creep vigorously up my left leg as I slide down the leaf-covered hillside. I grit my teeth through the burning sensation in my leg. I desperately stand up, taking not even two steps before my legs give out and I fall once more. I close my eyes in anguish and defeat as I await the arrival of the men and the possibility of death with them. The footsteps sound menacing as they trudge down the hill to meet where I helplessly lay.

"Wait," one says. "Ashlynn?"

My eyes open wide at the sound of my name. I stare up to the familiar face of my childhood crush and friend. I sigh with relief. Clayson couldn't kill me. He wouldn't allow it.

"You know her?" the unfamiliar boy questions suspiciously.

"Yes," Clayson says with a soft smile. All of a sudden, I am reminded of the pain and I groan softly. He quickly crouches down beside me. "Where does it hurt?"

"Left leg," I muster through a staggered breath.

Without a second thought, he lifts it up to examine it and notices a wide gash about the length of a newly bought pencil and the width of a big mistake eraser. He mutters something of a shock as he glances at me. I gaze into his chocolate eyes to look past the ruthless boy to remember who he was before he disappeared: loving and free-spirited.

The boys secretly consult each other before turning back to me, "Let's get you out of here." Clay slides one hand under my leg carefully and the other behind my back, picking me up. I wrap my arms around his neck to secure myself and remain silent as they walk back to the beach with me. I can feel the blood trickling into the heel of my shoe as we arrive at the mayor's truck. He slides me into the back seat and scoots in after me.

"Roll over," he commands as he tugs off his worn sweatshirt. I do what he says and roll over to lay on my stomach. He props my leg on his lap, proceeding to rip the fabric of his jacket while the other boy starts the ignition.

"There are some guys at camp with first aid training but until we get there, the best I can do for you is wrap it," he explains. I nod in consent as he ties the cloth tightly around the wound, stopping most of the bleeding. I'm very tired and may have lost more blood than I'm used to. I rest my eyes looking out the window and end up falling asleep.