1

Broken. That's the only word that could describe him.

He used to have a sister. He loved her. She was his world. Until a terrible accident happened.

It was his birthday, and she wanted to take him out somewhere special. He reluctantly agreed. As she was driving, her brother in the passenger seat next to her was lying his head on the cool glass watching as the trees passed.

She wasn't paying attention to the road. She didn't notice the truck up ahead on the wrong side of the road. He immediately perks up.

"LYRA!!!" He screamed, scaring his sister and making her swirl the old car. The truck hit her side of the car. He was thrown against the car's door as it flipped upside down.

"L-Lyra?!" He got no response. He struggled to get the seatbelt off, but managed to do so. He hit the ceiling of the car. He didn't feel the pain due to one of the many disorders he had. He twitched and ticked as he crawled over to see if his sister was okay.

The sight before him was absolutely horrifying.

His sister's body was mangled, far from fixable. Her stomach was caved in, glass piercing her skin. Her clothes were torn, blood trickling down her arms, legs, and face.

"Lyra!"

"I... Love you........ To...by..." She wheezed. She gave the weakest smile he had ever seen, but it was the sincerest. She shut her eyes and her head fell to the side as she took her last breath.

"L-Lyra?! NO! W-WAKE UP! PLEASE! PLEASE L-LYRA! THIS HAS TO BE S-SOME SICK JOKE!" He screeched. He felt something wet go down his cheek. It wasn't blood. It was something else.

A tear. Another fell, and another. Soon he was sobbing, yelling and screeching for his sister to wake up. He all just wanted this to be a dream. A nightmare. He wanted this to be some sick joke. Soon he passed out due to blood loss.

He woke up in a room. The walls and tiled floor were both a shade of a milky, pale white. He heard footsteps outside. The door opened to reveal a woman, short brown hair pulled up into a ponytail. She was a woman with kind intentions. Never to hurt anyone on purpose. She was his mother. She was the second person he had cared for most. Then there was a man beside her. Blonde hair, tousled and a mess. The man's intentions were completely different than the woman's. He loved to hurt others, especially if they were weaker than he. He was the boy's father. If you could call him that. No 'father' should ever hurt their family. He hated the man.

"Oh, Toby..." His mother said as she walked up to him and embraced him tightly in a hug, which he gladly returned.

"Mom..." He whimpered softly. She pet his hair.

"Shh, its okay baby. Its okay." He glanced to his 'father'. The man glared at him, mouthing 'disgrace'.

A couple days later he was free to leave the hospital. He was happy to leave that hell-hole. He sat in the backseat of the car behind his mother. He watched the trees as they drove by back home. Only his mother had come to pick him up from the hospital. She made sure to not take the road where the accident had happened. Once they had got back home, he got out of the car and shut the door. He opened his mother's for her. She thanked him and gave him a kiss on the top of the head after he shut the door. He gave her a small smile she knew was fake, but decided it was better if she left him alone about it. They entered the house. The small home had reeked of alcohol. The reason why was because his father drank. When he drank, he became angry. So he'd hurt others near him. Usually it was him who got hurt because of one of his disorders called congenital insensitivity to anhidrosis, otherwise called CIPA for short.

His family used to all be happy. His family didn't always have an abusive father. His father used to love both his children and wife. Until one day when he came home. He had bought beer after he had went to a bar one night. Ever since he was hooked to the disgusting liquid, even using empty bottles to harm his family sometimes. If he was feeling 'nice' he would only usually throw them to the floor or beat them mercilessly. He shuddered and shook off the memories.