Chapter 6

Kynigós and Ares appeared on a cliff in a flurry of harmless flames. The sea bashed against the cliff face as Ares sat, hanging his legs over the edge. Kynigós sat beside him, waiting patiently for the god of war to speak.

"I thought it was real. It was never just a... a 'fling'. I loved her. I thought we were meant to be together. I thought she was going to leave him. I finally had it you know? Being the God of War, I never believed I would find this type of happiness, that I would ever truly love at all. But... but, I... I did, and... and now..." The words choked in his throat and he let the silent tears spill down his cheeks. Letting them fall into the ocean below. Kynigós placed his hand on Ares' shoulder.

'She isn't the one you're supposed to end up with.'

Kynigós' voice shocked the god of war. Not expecting to hear such a deep yet empathetic voice in his mind. This stopped the flow of tears slightly, one slowly made it's way down his nose, before falling down onto Kynigós' hand. He didn't flinch, letting it roll down onto Ares' shoulder. The look on Ares' face encouraged him to continue.

'You may have fallen in love, but that doesn't mean there is only one person for each of us. There is someone out there who will love you unconditionally. Forever.' If only Kynigós believed his own words. Ares could tell that the man before him was also heartbroken, full of sorrow and pain. Sure he was the god of war but that didn't mean he didn't know how to read a mortal's emotions. He didn't say anything of it, he was a smarter being than his brothers and sisters gave him credit for. Simply nodding his head, trying to believe his words. The heartbreak still too fresh in his soul.

"We should get back." He wiped his tears and stood from the cliff face. Turning to find a sea of white behind him. Kynigòs was suddenly beside him. "Where... are we?" Ares marvelled at the blank expanse of space. The truly never-ending-ness of the white. That even though it was only the one colour it seemed to have dimension and depth.

'This is the Void.' Kynigòs' "voice" seemed to mirror the war god's marvel.

"How is this even possible? The void is supposed to be darkness, a hell beyond the hells. A place even the gods fear more than the creator. How is it... this?" He turned to look at the cloaked stranger beside him. The stranger that had helped him slightly overcome his recent heartbreak, the one he should be afraid of, the one who could control the Void. However, he didn't seem to harbour any fear or discomfort. Only, true contentedness and peace.

'Peace is right my friend.' Ares was beyond shocked, a mortal was able to read his thoughts?

'I am no mere mortal. Though I once was. That was a long time ago.' He seemed to be drawing on a memory, stopping himself before it could overcome him. 'I have been alive for many more years than my patrons think. They do not know the trials and fears I have faced, and I truly hope they never do. Anyway, Yes, this is the void and I do have some controlling abilities here as I was once sent here myself. The void is not as most people say, it is actually a place of true bliss, comfort and peace that none can find on the planet earth. It is told as the darkest of places by the people, as not many have come here and gone back. None really, and so they say it is a place of terror and torment for the souls who should not survive.' He paused once again, to let the information soak into the war god's head.

Ares was in a state of shock and bewilderment. He couldn't seem to comprehend that the eldest beings in the universe had been lying to each other for millennia. Kynigòs realised that the explanation may have been enough to break the poor soul and decided not to share any more insight and information that could potentially make his situation worse.

'Storytime is over, I think you were right before. Time to go back.' With the god of war in this state, he didn't seem to notice that they were once again in the throne room. His brothers and sisters looking down on him in worry. Glaring at Kynigòs for an action he did not do.

"What have you done to him, boy?" Zeus bellowed, his voice seemed to anger the Hunter. He took a deep breath and let the anger go. It would do him no good anyway. As he did not answer the king of the gods, Zeus took it as an insult. Starting to tell the others that he should be placed in chains.

"Father," Ares came to. Hearing the accusations and making them go away. "He did nothing wrong. In fact, I think he made me a better person." He turned to the Hunter embracing him in a hug and whispering a thank you in his ear.

Athena was gobsmacked. "What!"

"Sister, the thing he showed me, the place, the... information. I don't think you are worthy of your title anymore." Ares sniggered, any way to make Athena's existence worse was humorous to him. Maybe, he hadn't changed after all.

"What? What place? What information? What did you do Hunter?!"

Athena's questions went unanswered, unheard, as the gods turned to another matter. Leaving the goddess to stew by herself.

"Kynigòs, we thank you for your help with our children, but," Kynigòs rolled his eyes under his hood. "we would like you to stay at camp half-blood for the time being. There is another war brewing and we would like to ask for your help." Poseidon finished.

He was hesitant. He really did not want to go back there, to see her everywhere he looked. To be reminded of what happened all that time ago. However, he would never disobey his patrons and so he turned to them. Giving them more respect than the king of the gods.

"Kynigòs, I know it will be hard. But please." Hestia lay a hand on his shoulder. He closed his eyes under his hood, closing his personal emotions away before opening them again. He nodded to his patrons and bowed his head as he disappeared.

"Where did he go?" Zeus was furious. Thinking he was being dishonoured once again.

"Calm down brother. He has gone to Camp Half Blood." Hesitant answered, changing back to her normal robes before stepping into the flames and disappearing.