4. Food

Sean may not live in the Rice household, but sometimes, it sure feels like it. He and Kaycee were just hanging out for the day, but somehow, it fell on him to make lunch.

"Sweetheart, need help with that?" Laura passed behind him, on the way to the fridge. She peeked over his shoulder, taking a quick whiff of what he was whipping up. Her eyes widened at the mouth watering smell. "What's this?"

"Bibimbap. Want some?" Sean said, shifting to his left, where the beef was quickly frying in a pan. He took the towel from his shoulder and used it as a pan holder, quickly flipping the meat to keep them from burning in the sauce.

"Tempting, but no. I'm about to head out." Laura replied, giving it one last regretful look. She ruffled his hair. "Thank you though."

Sean turned back to his cooking, absentmindedly overhearing Laura converse with her daughter, who was doing homework at the counter.

"Kaycee, make sure to help him with the dishes, okay?" She said, giving her daughter a kiss on the head on her way out.

"Wow. He gets 'sweetheart', and I get 'Kaycee'. Way to play favorites, Mom." Kaycee giggled, rolling her eyes. Sean turned around and gave her a cheeky megawatt smile.

"Hmmm, let's see." Laura put her finger to her temple in a mock thinking face. "Who here cooks amazing food and cleans up after without being told? And who here has burned pasta and would probably starve to death on their own?"

Without waiting for a reply, her mom gave a triumphant evil laugh and exited the room. Kaycee glared accusingly at Sean, who raised his hands in feigned innocence.

With a soft chuckle, he turned the stove off. Sean quickly plated the food, and moved to get the utensils from the cupboard.

"You did this, Lew. I used to be the favorite, you know." She continued to glare at him as he gently set her things aside, and replaced them with a place mat, utensils, and a glass. Then, he carefully pried her book from her clenched fist, biting down his laughter.

"You invaded our home, and turned my parents against me!" She exasperated, throwing her arms in the air.

Sean laughed, showing absolutely no remorse.

"Well then, do you NOT want this?" He said, setting her plate down in front of her. He braced his arms on the other side of the counter, directly in front of her.

He watched Kaycee turn her accusing gaze at the food, determined to keep up the irate charade.

"What is it?" She asked. Sean could see the hunger, yet confusion in her eyes.

"Bibimbap." He said simply, as if that explained anything. He knew she didn't know what it was.

"What's that?" Kaycee's voice turned soft with genuine curiosity.

"Try it."

"What is it?"

"I said bibimbap."

"I said 'what is it?" She snapped.

Sean chuckled, shaking his head, breaking his gaze from her. Of course she was going to argue with him over food. Of course she was going to make sure he loses, again.

"Just try it." He urged gently, as if he was talking to an angry puppy.

"Not until you tell me what's in it."

She held his amused gaze with one of her own, taunting him. But Sean was hungry, and he really just wanted to watch The Office already.

Oh, so that's how you wanna play it, huh?

He decided to use the one card he had over Kaycee.

"Do you trust me?" He said, voice dripping with charm and warmth. For good measure, he whipped out a soft grin, dimples just barely appearing on his cheek.

Almost immediately, Kaycee's eyes darkened. It was instinct, really. He knows what those words mean to her, to both of them.

These were words he would normally only use in serious situations, but hey. Sometimes, Sean Lew is allowed to play dirty.

Kaycee set her jaw, and he could see the storm brewing inside her. She has to respond. She always does.

C'mon, you have to say it.

After a long painful pause, she let out a heavy sigh, and Sean knew he would win.

"Always." She said, through clenched teeth. Her eyes glared into his, and he knew he would absolutely pay for this later. "In all ways."

In his mind, Sean did a little vitory dance - one that involved some breakdancing and maybe a marching band. But he kept a composed facade, gently pushing the plate towards Kaycee.

With a final dramatic sigh, she took her fork and dug in. Sean rested his chin on his hand and openly watched Kaycee eat the food. He watched her expressions change, from determined-to-keep-up-her-irate-face to oh-my-god-this-is-delicious

Kaycee's face lit up with a brilliant smile, and Sean could swear his chest might just crack open at the sight of it. No matter what revenge she'll eventually cook up, that smile there made it all worth it.

~~~

Author's Note: I'm sorry this is shorter than usual, but I wanted to do something short and sweet after 3 stories of being serious and sentimental. This one was inspired by 2 things:

1. That Sean cooked something for the Rice's Superbowl viewing party (there was an IG Story saying something like "The best from Sean Lew"). I can just imagine them letting him cook for him and Kaycee whenever he is at their house.

2. Laura's heart-warming IG post for Sean's birthday, listing all these amazing compliments for him, and calling him family (I used her first name instead of "Kaycee's mom" because that's how Sean addressed her in his comment).