chapter 2

Standing behind her, my head resting on hers, I intensely rub my hands up and down her arms. Shivers making her tiny shoulders shake, she turned around and glanced up at me.

"Since when did Mcdonalds cut their heating budget? It's like standing in bloody Antarctica," she huffed.

"What a bloody pile of fuc-" Clasping my hand over her mouth I proceeded to tell her off, "Hshh your mouth you. There are young children here!"

With a blank stare, she said, "It's midnight..."

Accepting that in this instance her logic trumped mine, I gave her a wink, let go of her waist and walked over to the counter.

"One large cheese burger, one large fries and one large vanilla milkshake and...." I turned to her as a prompt to give her order.

"One happy meal with chicken nuggets please !" She gleamed up at the rather board looking teen.

Unable to subtly stifle my chuckles at her order, I took out my wallet and payed for the food.

"You know one of these days I'm going to write a list of everything you owe me for throughout the years, and I think all that cash would make me a millionaire..."

Rolling her eyes at me she tucks a single curl behind her ear. "Shut it fatty."

An adorable grin moving onto her face, and I just couldn't help but mirror it. She looked so cute in my huge flannel and her hair all messy.

A large cough broke me out of my trance, "Excuse me. Your food..."

Without realising it we were standing millimetres apart, staring at each-other with large grins upon our faces.

I moved my arm down, around her tiny body and slapped her ass, grabbed the paper bag and began to head to the door. Turning my head to watch her short legs moving double time to keep up with me. Getting into the car I hear her little voice start;

"I felt that, hemmings and I want you to know that we can't go through life with your hand surgically attached to my ass.. As used to it as I've become, I don't think we can reach 60 when we are both married off, with you smacking my bum every 10 seconds." Giving me a cheeky wink.

That made me think. Am I too comfortable with her? Placing the paper bag down near the gear stick, I looked out the window into the blackness of the night. She's my best friend. That's allowed.. I'm allowed to be close and touchy. I hope?

I mean what if when she's 60 and married to someone and then I want to be close and we can't. What if he's a protective ass and won't let me see my best friend?

Crap. As soon as she finds someone she likes we are going to stop being friends. I am going to loose my best friend.

A cough dragged me out of my whirlpool thoughts and brought my eyes away from the night

I glanced over to be greeted with a look of sheer panic.

"I was joking. I was joking Luke! Please don't look at me like that... Your looking at me as I've just killed your cat. I was just joking."

I knew she was. She likes to make witty comments, she constantly is. So why did that one affect me?

"What's wrong luke? Look at me," she took my jaw in her tiny little hands and turned my head to look at her.

"Luuuukkkeeeeyyyyy. You know you can tell me anything, you normally do! Just tell me what's wrong, maybe I can help... All I did was make a joke about you constantly smacking my ass?"

Screw it. What am I doing? I'm making a bloody big drama about her making a joke. What a twat.

I attempted to regain some sort of normality and get her to forget my outbreak... "Nothing. Seriously nothing, just realised that I was quite tiered and want to just crash after we've eaten."

Rolling her eyes she opened her happy meal and with a sigh said, "Whatever. You don't want to tell me. You don't want to tell me. That's fine. Can we just head home? I don't want to be in the car it's making me feel awkward."

Frustrated with myself for causing tension, I turned my keys and let the engine go.