• prolouge •

* WEDNESDAY *

𝘴𝘩𝘦 𝘸𝘢𝘴 𝘬𝘪𝘤𝘬𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘴𝘤𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘮𝘪𝘯𝘨

"Piece of shit. Can't even handle a slap," he muttered. My Mom pushed her chair back, walking towards me and slapping me hard across the cheek.

"Say sorry," she ordered.

"I'm so, so sorry for not getting an A+," I said clearly, looking straight into my Mom and Dad's eyes.

"Good girl," my father praised. "For that, no breakfast tomorrow. Now, head to your room, Wednesday."

I nodded and stood up, leaving the kitchen silently before speeding up the stairs and into my bedroom. The want to slam the door, grab a knife or a gun, and kill my parents spread throughout my body.

But I didn't. I closed the door quietly and slumped down on my bed, beginning to let out quiet sobs. I can't do this anymore.

I can't.

I CAN'T.

"I CAN'T!" I screamed, sitting up in my tiny bed. Sweat was dripping all around my pajamas, and tears streamed down my face. I gasped for breath, feeling a loss of air. My t-shirt clung to my back like a sticker as I reached for the water on my bedside.

"Wednesday?! Are you ok?" Luther, Allison, Vanya, Diego, Klaus, Ben, and (of course) Number Five came bursting into my room, looks of worry on their faces.

"I'm ok," I whispered.

"No you aren't," Vanya said, coming closer to give me a hug. I gladly accepted it, squeezing her tightly in my arms.

"Move, Vanya," Allison ordered as she shoved Vanya aside. "What happened? Did someone break in?"

I sighed. "I had another dream about my...my..." I trailed off as a coiled feeling began to build in my stomach.

"Your father and mother?" Five asked. "Those assholes," he murmured. I shoved past him, the need to throw up growing. Making my way to the trash can, I threw up. "Jesus Christ," Five whispered. "Wednesday. You worry me."

Luther picked me up off the floor when I was done, and he placed me on my bed. "You should get a cigarette," Klaus suggested, "it really helps."

I smiled weakly and shook my head. "Thank you, Klaus. That won't be necessary, though."

Klaus nodded.

"What was happening in your dream?" Diego asked me.

"I should get up," I told them, ignoring Diego. "I have to help Grace with breakfast. It's almost time to get up anyway." I began to get out of bed, but Five pushed my chest, forcing me to lay back down.

"You're staying in bed," he said, "we'll tell Dad that you're sick."

I shook my head. "No, Five. I have to get up."

"What are all of you doing in here?!" Mr. Hargreeves exclaimed, standing in the doorway staring at all eight of us.

"Dad, it's not what it looks like," Ben explained. "Wednesday had a nightmare about her parents and we came to check on her and she threw up and she's sick and she can't work today and—"

Mr. Hargreeves cut Ben off, glaring at me. "She is not sick. Wednesday, go help Grace with the breakfast. After, you will tidy up the rooms then help Grace with laundry. You'll also be assisting us in training. Understood?"

I nodded quickly and got out of bed, rushing towards my closet to change into the clothes given to me. My 'uniform' was a skirt that reached about an inch and a half past my knees, a white button down shirt, and some white heels. I was meant to look a lot like Grace, and in the uniform I did.

I began to shove everyone out of my room, and, before he exited, Five gave me a disappointed look. I quickly changed before smoothing my skirt and leaving the room. I made my way downstairs to help Grace with the breakfast when the doorbell rang. Turning left, I opened the door and when I did, I was faced with the same boy who had been coming almost everyday.

I sighed. "Please," he pleaded, "I must be special! I have to be in the Umbrella Academy! I was born on the same day!"

"I'm so sorry, sir," I said, "But Mr. Hargreeves does not want to take anyone. I'm sorry, but if you had powers, wouldn't you know?"

The boy shook his head. "I don't know! With your help I can find out. Please, just let me talk to him!"

"Like I said, I'm sorry," I said. I was about to close the door, but the boy stuck his foot between the outside and the inside. "Sir, please."

The boy shook his head. "No. I'm special!" He shoved the door open and pushed my chest with his finger. "Listen here, I've been abused my whole life, told I'm not special when I know I am. So let me in and let me talk."

"I-I'm Sorry. I can't," I whispered. He growled and shoved me to the ground, leaning down. I gasped. "Please."

"You'll take me to Hargreeves. Now," he ordered.

"I can't."

The boy stared at me with glaring eyes.

"You will," he said. They boy grabbed my hand and tightened his grip on me. "Now."

"I can't," I repeated, "I really can't."

"Let her go!"

I turned to my left to see Luther, Allison, and Five standing there. Five spacial jumped to next to me, and and removed the boy's hand from my hand. He helped me up and grabbed me possessively, glaring at the boy.

"Fuck off. I won't tell Dad if you leave now. Never come back and never touch our housekeeper again," Luther said lowly. The boy cowered back, and he ran out the door.

"Did he hurt you?" Five asked. "I swear if he did..."

"No, Five. He didn't," I told him.

"Are you sure?" Allison quivered. "Why was he here?"

"He's been coming almost everyday," I answered.

"And you never told us?!" Five exclaimed.

"Well, he was just some boy. I didn't think it was worth it to tell anyone," I said.

Five sighed. "And?"

"He'd come almost everyday and claim that he was special. He always said that he was made for The Academy and that if I'd just let him speak to your Dad then he could join us," I explained.

Allison frowned. "And has he been doing that everyday?"

I shook my head. "Never. He always drops it then comes back tomorrow. This is a first."

"If he ever comes back, you call us. He can't be talking or touching our friend," Luther said.

"Jesus, Luther," Five said, "you act like nothing happened."

Luther rolled his eyes. "Whatever. Go help mom with food," He ordered me. I nodded and scurried off.

What the hell?