The Big Reveal

A grin spread across Asher's face, taking more to his right cheek than his left. "Wow. Just Wow."

I watched as Asher's eyes grew big and I began trying to determine whether it was out of aggravation or disbelief. But his face remained unchanging, not giving me any indicator as to whether his reaction was something I should be relieved from or worried about. I felt myself growing nervous, speaking slowly, just proving how unsure I was of myself. "What?"

Asher finally removed his glance from the paper he had been holding in his hands, shifting his weight up off the wall he had been leaning on and resuming focus on me. "Who are you, Danielle Leigh, and how did I land the chance of meeting you?"

I looked down at my feet, realizing I probably just made a total idiot of myself. What was I thinking? Anyone in their right mind would know that writing a letter was a sure fire way to increase awkwardness, not eliminate it. "Look, I told you not to read that 'til-" "You know you get defensive very easily?"

At first, I thought he was scolding me. But, upon looking at the smile that revealed only the truest sincerity and genuine interest, I realized it was only a mere observation. I shuffled my feet before returning my hands to my pockets, feeling my cheeks turn scarlet.

"Relax. I liked it."

He was pulling my leg, trying to gain my trust. Don't trust him, Dani. "You did?"

"Yeah. It was probably the most honest thing anyone has ever said-written,"he corrected himself,"to me. But you only scratched the surface."

"Of what?"

I was dumbfounded. How much more exactly did he want me to say? That letter revealed more of the truth of what I was actually thinking on a daily basis than I even had the courage to tell my mother every day after school. And that was saying something considering she is the only person I even remotely try to open up to. I was vulnerable enough already. If I exposed any more of myself, I'd be at his mercy for the rest of my existence.

"Of who you really are. I know there's more to that girl than a studious teenager who has an unexplained hatred of the world and suspicion of everyone she meets. And I really want to get to know her. Not who people want you to be, not the entity you think you should be, and definitely not the mask you put on and pretend to be."

I bit my lip, trying to hold back what I wanted to say, but to no avail. "No offense or anything, but I'm not about to spill my life story to this guy I just met as we are standing in the hallway of my high school. It was uncomfortable enough watching you read my letter, and I didn't even have to say anything."

Asher looked disappointed and I couldn't help but feel bad for snapping at him. "It's nothing personal, just not the time and place."

Surprisingly, Asher's face took a sharp turn and grew elated. I began to wonder if he had heard me correctly.

"What are you doing this afternoon?"

"Nothing, why-"

"Great! There you have it then."

"Have what?" Now I was really confused. Did he not here anything I just said?

"Your time and place."

"But-"

"Look, I'd love to argue with you, but we have about thirty seconds before the bell rings, so I suggest you come follow me to our desk before we are both tardy."

I sighed, looking up at the clock only to realize he was right. This would have to wait 'til later, and there was no way I was getting out of it. Why couldn't I have just lied and said I had my grandmother's 92nd birthday to attend? Nobody argues with that.