Lesson Number Three

The intensity of the aroma that seeped out of the locker room doors never failed to leave me repulsed. Combine that suffocating smell with Randa's superfluous comments, and I felt like just about the whole world was caving in on me.

         "You didn't answer any of my texts last night! Where were you?"

         I had only been at school for ten minutes, and Randa was already on my tail, harassing me with questions.

         "I know, I'm sorry. I was really busy. And you don't need to bother lecturing me.

My mom already beat you to it."

         Randa dropped her bag to the locker room floor as she fuddled with the combination. 

         "I'm not here to scold. I just want the deets!"

         I rolled my eyes at her as she hopped around, trying to tie her gym shoes.

         "I'm serious! I haven't a single recollection in all of my living memory in which you, Dani Shaw, have ever gone out on a school night! This is breaking news!"

         Randa's locker door slammed shut as she finished pulling her shirt over her head. Seeing Randa standing there in our dull, gray, gym uniform brought a sick sense of happiness to my soul, and I was filled with feeling gratitude towards one of Dr. Sullivan's orders for once. "Thank you asthma for saving me from the hells of gym! Please be sure to give Randa a hard time for harassing me. Amen."

         Randa gave me a quick slap to the arm as she left the locker room, her eyes turning from a sense of anger to pleading. "Stop trying to change the subject, Dani. What happened?"

         I sighed, reluctantly giving in to her request, knowing I wouldn't be left alone until I did. “I was with Asher-"

         "The new kid?"

         "Yes, the new kid. We were working on a project for Intercultural Communications."

         "Oh, a project," Randa winked, shimmying down the hallway. 

         "Yes, Randa, a project and nothing more than that.”

         "That's what they all say."

         "You do realize that a guy and a girl can hang out without it being any more than just that?"

         "You just wait, Dani. Give it a few more weeks and he'll be all you can think about. You'll be in so deep, I'll have to send in a submarine to fish you out."

         "Bye, Randa."

         "You just wait! By October, I'll be saying 'told you so!"

         Waving Randa off, I slipped my hand into my back pocket, revealing the glorious ticket granting me access out of hell- my doctor's note.

         "Alright, Shaw, what have you got for me?"

         I slipped the note onto Coach Kaus' desk, biting my lip to contain the grin that was threatening to take over my face.

         He pushed it up, putting on his glasses to read the little slip of paper. "Indefinite removal from all extra physical activity. I suppose that means this class?"

         "Yes, sir."

         Coach Kaus huffed out a sigh. "Alright. You now have a free period, Shaw. Go do something productive. The library may be your best shot."