Once the Same

❤️💜4k Mmm looks like we'll just about scrape my read goal at this rate, there's only 20 chapters to this book. So we've just hit half way :3💜❤️

"I thought you said that God's keeping hold of mortals is forbidden in this world?" Killer muttered, narrowing his eyes.

Dream frowned, clenching his hands into fists. "Well Nightmare thinks that the laws don't apply to him." He pressed himself against the arena wall, glancing nervously round the corner.

They'd just been dragged out of their cells by Horror and shoved into a room full of weapons so they could grab something to as quoted 'Make the fight more interesting'.

Dream had chosen a slick bow that came with a quiver of seventeen arrows. Killer had taken a long spear, but also still had the knife that Nightmare stabbed him with rapped up with fabric in his pocket.

"Do you think he keeps the mortal against their will?" He asked, curling his fingers tightly around the slim spear in his hands.

"I don't know. But I'm assuming so. My brother is famous for being a ruthless monster. He's probably using this mortal as a soon-to-be-sacrifice." He said, gripping onto his bow.

Killer nodded, wincing as the sound of loudspeakers blasted out, announcing their upcoming battle. "But really, what kind of a sick person sends their own brother into a death match arena after stripping their powers?!"

"Nightmare does... But that's more my fault than anyone else's..."

"How on earth can this be your fault?"

"Well...back when we were younger, believe it or not, we were virtually the same. Twins. We still are twins of course, but you wouldn't think it. You see, he never used to look like...that. How he is now. The two of us never started out as the Gods of Positivity and Negativity. We were both mere Demi-Gods of Light and Darnkess. Basically Night and Day. Our mum immediately chose a favourite...and that was me. I grew up with praise and good will, while Nightmare was often left behind.

Our mum was the Goddess of Nature, so naturally she was more fond over the sunlight baby. I helped with her powers, while Nightmare couldn't do much at all. As we grew up it got worse... I failed to notice how he changed, and mum didn't really care. She never wanted twins in the first place, just one son or daughter that could help her powers progress. I gained so many friends, and Nightmare was left at home curled up in bed with a book in his lap, pretending he didn't mind. He acted like he didn't want love and attention. But in reality, he craved it.

And then one day Nightmare just seemed to snap. We were both seventeen at the time and Nightmare had just got in an argument with mum. The two of them had been practically screaming at each other before he just ran, shoving me out of the way and leaving the house. And then darkness fell. In the mortal and upper realm, darkness lasted far longer than it should have. I couldn't do anything, helpless against his stronger power. We searched for Nightmare everywhere, but couldn't find him.

Little did we know he wasn't even in the upper realm anymore. He'd gone below our world, below the mortal world to the depths of hell, a forbidden place in this time. He spoke with demons, and convinced them to give him their powers. They saw the potential in him and agreed, changing him... They destroyed his body, warped it into what it is today and changed his state. He went from Demi-God to a full on God, more powerful than even mum... The God of Negativity...

Of course none of us had expected it. There wasn't a God of positivity at that time because we believed that God's should never possess power over people's emotions. But because Nightmare was now the God of Negativity, we had to have a God of positivity as well, or else the balance would crumble. You see, with the God of Creation, there has to be a God of Destruction and etc. And obviously, I was the chosen candidate to be the new God of Positivity... So I was forced into this position...

Nightmare broke away from people, bringing other outcasts with him. Soon enough, two kingdoms were divided, Light and Dark. This realm separated and ever since, it's never been the same..."

"Oh god..." Killer whispered, his eyes wide in shock. "So he wasn't always like this?"

"No... Not at all..."

Killer went to say something in an attempt to comfort the smaller, but suddenly a Horror walked in, axe in hand.

"Get out there you two. Your first opponents will be released in a second." He shoved them forwards towards the light of the arena, laughing. "Oh, and don't die too quickly. It'll be boring to watch if you do."

The two yelped, being shoved out into the harsh lights of the battle arena. They gripped onto their weapons tightly, blinking rapidly as their eyes failed to adjust to the bright light. It was a change from their dark cell.

The arena was incredibly large, stretching out further than any fake-ass-grass football pitch. The floor seemed to have a thin layer of sand on it, but beneath was solid as concrete. Assumedly to make any blood spilled easier to clean up. Walls tens of metres high towered around the edges, curbing in at the top to cast a cool shade over the people watching in the stands. Of course the actual fighters didn't get any form of shade and were left to bake in the sun as they fought for no other reason than pure entertainment.

People were already screaming and yelling, looking down at the two and cheering loudly, leaning over the barriers that keep them from falling into the arena with them by accident.

Killer held a hand over his eyes to shade his vision, scanning the crowds for any signs of Nightmare and his pet.

"There." Dream muttered, pointing over at a fancy looking seating box. Of course Nightmare would be separate from all the rest of the crowd.

Nightmare was sat casually on a throne, his head resting against his closed fist, tilted to the side. One of his legs was crossed over the other loosely. He looked incredibly relaxed, almost bored.

"There's the mortal!" Dream whispered frantically.

Next to Nightmare, sat down on what looked like a folded blanket, was a skeleton. They were sat down, their legs tucked under them, hands on their lap. They wore a grey oversized hoodie, the sleeves reaching down to their fingertips. As far as Killer could see, they were also wearing black shorts with white X's on, no shoes. Around their neck, a black collar was worn. A long silver chain was attached to that collar, trailing up into Nightmares hand. The mortal looked pretty calm, their mismatched pupils looking up at Nightmare, ignoring them completely. They were too far away to see anything else really.

"They don't look distressed..." Killer muttered, taking a sideways glance at Dream.

The smaller growled, no longer facing him. "We'll worry about that later. For now, we've got other things to worry about."

Killer whipped around, his eyes widening at the sight of at least ten warriors running towards them from a wide entrance on the opposite side of the arena.

Their first opponents had arrived.

————————————————————————

AHAHAAHAHHA DID YOU REALLY THINK I'D WRITE A BOOK WITHOUT CROSSMARE????

Of course you didn't lmao you know me

Forget Kréme, just Crossmare now (iM kIdDiNg--)

Oh well I'm happy, and I hope you are as well :3

-Jess-