Book I ♦ Chapter III

Employment

Gloria

Gloria

Michael ignored my questions. Instead, he led me through narrow, winding hallways, and down staircases. Unlike his usual demeanour, he was silent now, and his hand felt hot against my waist as he quietly bade me to follow him.

But finally, I couldn't take it anymore. I'd never let anyone lead me around for so long before in my life. And although Michael had a way of making me feel like a different person, I had more self-respect than this.

Besides that, I still had no idea what Chief Conner had even meant by this strange statement. Someone should just come out and say it: was I employed, or wasn't I?

"Michael, where are we going?" I glanced towards his face, waiting for his acknowledgement. But he ignored me, smirking instead.

So this time, I dug in my heels, bringing us to a halt. A difficult task considering I wore my pointed pumps, which made balance a pain anyway. "Michael, talk to me. What's going on?"

"What's going on?" He dropped his hand from my waist and stepped towards a nearby door. "I'm about to head into my office, and my future wife has insisted on following me to work. Do you plan on stalking me all day?"

The heat rose to my face, and my fists tightened at my side. "I'm not your future wife!" Why was he so infuriating?

"You dragged me down here, so I've basically been kidnapped. Besides, what do you mean, your office?" I glanced towards the rows of cabinets and papers lining the hallway to the right. "We're down here with the old filing."

He turned from me, but not quick enough to disguise the wry grin on his face, and pushed open the door. "My dear Firecracker, I want to be the first to welcome you to the Department of Forgotten Mysteries."

The room was small. Three desks were crammed within the space of what would normally have been a small, but decent, office. So our arrival, and Michael's announcement, didn't go unnoticed by the inhabitant within.

He was young, possibly around the same age as Michael and myself. And was slightly taller than Michael, which meant that he towered over my five foot seven frame.