Glossary of Terms

I've received quite a few requests to put together a short glossary, so here we be!

--

First off, a short history of this book and the title. Alpha's Beginning is the first book of a spin-off series based in The Grimm Cases universe. In October, Alpha's Beginning is going to be published as Rising Sun. Some people have asked why this book is called Alpha's Beginning, and yes, there is a point. 

Like The Grimm Cases, nothing is random. However, since Bianca's ramblings serve a purpose, I had to think of another way to throw in the tiny hints of things to come for Alpha. When publishing, I knew I'd change the title. So keep that in mind while pondering why this book is called what it is.   

And yes, you've heard it here first. In The Grimm Cases Julian once mused over this topic too. However, it's never been factually stated, until now: No matter how crazy her theory, or how off the wall her observation, Bianca is never ever ever completely wrong. 🙈🙈 And I'll leave you with that.

So here you go, your little hint about the direction of Gloria's story. Use it wisely. 
The Alpha is Gloria, but how it come together is up for debate.

--

Now, onto the terms. 

Onmyoji/Onmyouji -- On Wattpad I alternate the spellings because I'm sprinting. But in the published books, I use onmyoji. An onmyoji is a practitioner of onmyodo. It's an occult-based science that was popular during the Heian period in Japanese history. The most popular practitioner was Abe no Seimei. 

In my story, their magic is drawn from the underworld. They also also fortune tellers, taro masters, and can bind a shikigami to them to act as their worldly familiar. 

Shikigami -- A shikigami is a spirit guide, of sorts, that are present on earth through a contract with an onmyoji. They have a human form, but prefer to take on their animal shape on this realm. They act as an intermediary between the underworld and this realm on behalf of their onmyoji. 

Necromancer  -- In this universe the necromancer retains most of their original definition with one change, they cannot summon spirits. Necromancers deal with the physical side of death, and the memories that are tied to living and dead things. Because a person's essence is tied to the spirit as well as the physical body, necromancers can dream-hop and manipulate emotions. 

Fae -- Much of the original Fae folklore is kept, including the appearance of the Seelie and Unseelie court. In this world, fae act as the intermediary between this world and the underworld. They live between the two, and their specialty is mediumship--communication with spirits. 

Witch -- A witch in The Grimm Cases and Alpha are much like a hearth/house/green witch of today. There are no sparkling spells and wand waving. Witches practice earth-based magics that are quiet, subtle, healing, but also deadly if in the wrong hands. Both men and women are witches.

Wu Xing -- The mythology behind both Grimm and Alpha are based off the practice of the wu xing (the Chinese Five elements). Every "ability" falls within one of those elements: the fae belong to the Wood element, the onmyoji are Fire, witches are Earth, shifters are Metal, and necromancers are Water. The properties of their abilities tie in with the aspects of their element within the wu xing.

Controllers -- In the wu xing one of the five elements controls (overcomes) another in nature, and so it is in this story. To keep one ability set from growing too power, their opposite exists. Metal controls Wood, Water controls Fire, Wood controls Earth, Fire controls Metal, and Earth controls Water.

Supporters -- The same as the controllers, except with the opposite effect. Each ability can help other ability grow stronger, that's the generating cycle. Wood helps Fire, Fire helps Earth, Earth helps Metal, Metal helps Water, and Water helps Wood.

Xing -- This is the backbone of The Grimm Cases, but mentioned here as well. The Xing are the elements "manifested" into the world, reincarnated every other lifetime. They have gone through many lives, and are the leaders of their world. 

Quintet -- The stronger the person, the more easily unbalanced they can become. When someone at that point, they seek balance. So those who have abilities are organized into groups of five individuals who have comparable and complimentary strengths. 

The Council -- Created by the Xing to help keep balance when they are between their reincarnation cycles. The council is made up of powerful individuals, though most outside of the council have no idea who they really are, who help determine the laws for the rest of the supernatural world to follow. When the Xing are alive, they can actually override a Xing's decision if they think they pose a danger to the general population.

 When the Xing are alive, they can actually override a Xing's decision if they think they pose a danger to the general population