Chapter 4- Back Home

4

Umar

23 December, 2016. Riyadh.

He knocked on the vast gate and waited for two seconds before the small window in the gate was slid open and the watchman peeked out, widening his eyes after seeing him. He smiled at Umar and opened the gate, the very next moment. Umar drove the car inside and after parking the car in the side parking of their mansion got out of it and shut the door. He turned to see the watchman standing a little distance away from him.

"Assalamualaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuhu." He wished the watchman with enthusiasm and hugged him with an one armed hug, while simultaneously patting his back twice.

"Walaikumassalam warahmatullahi wabarakatuhu." The watchman answered back. He was their oldest employee, working as their watchman for the past seventeen years. Now he was almost like a member of their family. He was from Afghanistan, but had never gone back to the country as there was no one waiting for him there. He was married and his wife stayed with him in the one roomed servant quarters on the outer grounds of the mansion. They had no kids.

"How are you Amm?" He asked the older man, who smiled and indicated the skies with his index finger.

"All His grace my son." The old man answered. Umar chuckled, expecting that answer and nodded his head.

"I will see you later Amm. Right now Ummi must be waiting." Umar said and after their Salaams they departed. Umar began to walk towards the mansion, in the centre of the vast gardens. He opened the next gate in the grounds, which enclosed the gardens and the mansion. This gate barred all the male employees from entering inside. He sighed as the smell of jasmines hit him pleasantly and stopped to watch the lone jasmine tree in a field of flowers of different kinds. His mother loved gardening and usually tended to come out in the evenings to view her handiwork. He smiled at the whole scene and then moved ahead.

The garden was connected to the mansion by a small wooden bridge that over looked a narrow but long pool. The pool surrounded the front side of the mansion. There was a small fountain in the shape of three marble dolphins playing in water. The pool was well cleaned and filled with clean water that sparkled in the afternoon sun.

Umar began to walk through the front lawn and soon reached the main door of his mansion. The lawn surrounding the porch of the mansion was full of well kept grass and a double seated hammock chair was placed under a small shed along with some chairs, in the lawn. His parents loved to sit there in the evenings while making small talk. Sometimes his mother loved to sit there while reading. Every time he went near that swing he could smell Aaminah around it. He loved to sit on it due to that fact. He shook his head and turned to face the entrance of his childhood home. Placing a finger on the small button, he rung it.

The door swung open in five seconds and he came face to face with Aaminah, who was breathless. He smiled at her and she threw herself in his arms as she cried happily. He hugged her tightly, surrounding himself with her warmth and raised his head. His brother Khaalid had come out of his own room and was watching Umar with happy eyes. Umar raised his eyebrows at his youngest brother and winked. Khaalid chuckled and moved towards him.

Umar separated from his mother and wiped her tears, wishing her softly. She patted her cheeks and hooked her arms under his right arm, while pulling him inside. Khaalid reached him and hugged him happily.

"Assalamualaikum Ya Akhi." Khaalid muttered. Umar had always been his favourite brother. Umar patted his back and wished him.

"Grown more taller." Umar commented lightly to Khaalid who just smiled.