Chapter 8- The onslaught of memories

8

Umar

4th January, 2017. Riyadh.

The lawn looked freshly mowed. Some leaves had haphazardly fallen though and were swirling in the evening wind. The climate was quite pleasant and so was the scenery. The mansion had awakened today to another arrival. Hammad was home for the vacations, after spending some days in Spain. Aaminah was beyond happy. She had even prepared everyone's favourite dishes and had fed them with her own hands.

His brothers were in Khaalid's room playing video games and he had come down to the garden to ponder upon the Quran once again. Quran was the cure to aching hearts and burning souls, his father had always told him, and he believed it to be true. Each time he had picked up the KitaabAllah, he had been guided. He reverently opened the Quran and touched it's page with love before beginning the verse at the start of the page, where he had last stopped-

19:51

And mention in the Book, Moses. Indeed, he was chosen, and he was a messenger and a prophet.

19:52

And We called him from the side of the mount at [his] right and brought him near, confiding [to him].

19:53

And We gave him out of Our mercy his brother Aaron as a prophet.

19:54

And mention in the Book, Ishmael. Indeed, he was true to his promise, and he was a messenger and a prophet.

19:55

And he used to enjoin on his people prayer and zakah and was to his Lord pleasing.

19:56

And mention in the Book, Idrees. Indeed, he was a man of truth and a prophet.

19:57

And We raised him to a high station.

Umar paused to reflect on what he had just read. The Quran was full of the stories of the prophets and why they were beloved to Allah. They were ordinary men, but their love for Allah, their trust on Allah made them extraordinary. They were those who enjoined goodness on people. They were all special in their own ways. And Quran mentioned this again and again so the people would take lessons from them on how to live a life. Islam isn't just a religion, it's a way of life, it's submission of our will before our Rabb. The world today see Islam in a certain way and blame it's teachings for every shortcoming a Muslim display. In reality Muslims are imperfect but Islam is perfect and it's complete.

Umar was truly sad for how the world today perceived Islam, because of certain people who themselves do not know much about it and yet believe people who innovate things in this religion, so they could use these scapegoats in their own purposes. But the truth is Islam needs to be learned before people can point fingers at it. And by learn Umar, wanted them to truly learn and not just pick a random thing and debate about it for hours. The blame of Islamophobia wasn't just people or media of today, displaying half truths or warped truths, it lays on every Muslim who do not know their religion and yet arm themselves to fight people through weapons or words. Islam condemns the deaths of innocents and yet that teaching is seemingly being ignored. Islam also condemns the use of those slurs and vile words some Muslims use in defense of it. What face would these people show to Allah when they are questioned regarding it?

Islam started with the Shahadah or witness in one Rabb and ended with these words flowing from our tongue to reaching our heart. When the heart would start beating to the tunes of His SWT's name, when His SWT's words became the peace of the heart and when a Muslim realises that not just words but beautiful deeds are the requirement of this faith, then their Islam will be fulfilled. But till then one can truly hope for a better tomorrow. And that's what Umar did. He hoped. He followed the beauty of his deen, he tried to forward the message of the book of Allah and then he left it on Allah.