Petrichor (01)

Present....

I groaned as I realised I had forgotten my coffee. I was perfectly comfortable, nestled in one of the many lounges of our library enjoying the many pleasures provided by my all time favourite book, namely "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak.

As I had reached for a warm sip of my signature brewed coffee, I realised I had forgotten my sipper. Great ! Just what I wanted. And today of all days to when Miss Meyers, the sweet librarian had allowed me to stay an extra hour in exchange for helping her out with sorting the new arrivals.

I scowled and then tried to stand up but apparently my feet and my butt had other ideas. They were numb from sitting too long. Talk about your own body protesting against you.

I tried to control the intensity of of my scowl, as I stumbled a few steps before my feet decided to play along.

I gathered my stuff, checking again for my phone, earplugs and my battered copy of The Book Thief.
It might be in ruins but it was my treasure.

I went towards the main counter to inform her about my unfortunate early departure. But Miss Meyers seemed to be in her own world as she did some paperwork.
She was a petite woman with dark hair and warm eyes.

I cleared my throat.
She looked up, at me and smiled "What's the problem dear ?".
I frowned and said "I forgot my coffee !" As if it were the most terrible thing in this world of many mishaps.

She smiled understanding the issue "Aah ! I see, so I shall be expecting you tomorrow again after your lectures."

I finally felt my lips being pulled upwards. She understood how crazy I was for coffee. I know I sound like an addict or something, but honestly ? I would choose coffee over food almost everyday, the exception being my mom's homemade food.

"Yes, please" I said, relieved that I could still come tomorrow.

"Then I shall lock this cozy heaven on earth" she said while rummaging in her drawers for the giant padlock she was accustomed to.

I stepped out breathing the fresh smell of rainwater against the earth.
There is even a word for it.

{ Petrichor (n.)}

{the pleasant smell of the earth while it rains..}

Wait a minute.....
Rain water against the earth!!!
My eyes flew open as I realised it was pouring buckets outside. And of course I had forgotten my umbrella.
Even though the sky was a total tattletale and was rumbling when I was coming to the library.

I turned to go to the library's warmth, anything to escape this weather.
Don't get me wrong, I love rain. Adore it.

But certainly not with a phone, ready to hand over itself to the almighty at the touch of water or a book which is not so waterproof.

I pushed the handle of the door, but it won't budge. I tried again and again and again.
Nothing.

Just then I realised Miss Meyers must have locked it and left from the backdoor. Her apartment was hardly a few steps away.
And... she was responsible enough to carry an umbrella with her. I might just have to wait for the rain to stop.

I sat on the steps waiting for a godsend or just the stopping of rain - whichever came first, closing my eyes to focus on the comforting (yet - slightly - annoying - in - this - situation) sound of rain.

"Hey, is the library closed ?" someone asked me.

I opened my eyes and found myself staring at a boy with dark hair and chocolatey eyes. He was wearing denims a white t shirt with a black hoodie.
I also realised that staring isn't the best way to respond, so I said "Yes, actually it closed late today. You should come between 7:30 am and 6:30 pm ."

He frowned and then asked me smiling a bit "So what are you doing here ?"

He had an Indian lilt to his english, very similar to my own.

"Waiting for the rain to stop" I sighed and frowned.

"Why may I ask ?" he asked yet again sitting next to me.

"Because my book and phone are prone to water-caused death and I love them ?" It came out as a question rather than an answer.

Yikes! I am really really awkward.

"So can I offer you a ride, to ensure that your phone and book don't die the most gruesome deaths in the history of beloved possessions ?" He asked grinning rather shyly at me.

I reluctantly smiled "Sure, thank you so much for rescuing me and my books."

He stood up dusting his pants and looked down at me smiling "No problem" .

-×-×-×-×-×-×-×-×-×-×-×-×-×-×

I sighed as I entered the warm car, which he was kind enough to park right in front of the gate of the library.

"Are you cold ?" He asked me as he switched on the heater.

"Not anymore" I smiled and leaned in the leather seats in content.

I stared out, not knowing anything to say at all, like mind blank, whole senses wiped out or jumped off the deck leaving the first mate 'AWKWARD' .

But luckily my godsend (no sarcasm only gratitude) was not as socially inept as me, and decided to break the ice. "It's weird I don't know anything about the damsel in distress I am rescuing, so shall we start with the little introductory speech ?" He asked me with a smile.

I grinned "Sure" and started the story of my life.
"I am Nandini Chauhan, from Indore, India studying at Hilltop Pine Academy, taking graduate courses in Psychology and Literature. Nice to meet you knight in shining armour."

He smiled and then started off, telling his own tale.
"Hello. I am Aryan Gupta, from India, Indore, same pinch by the way. I am taking courses in Business and Economics and also studying at Hilltop Pine Academy. It's a pleasure to meet you damsel in distress, with whom I already have a lot in common" .

Oh My God ! He is from Indore ! My beloved city. I must be looking like a creep with my eyes as big as golf balls and my mouth hung open.

I could only manage to say "Oh gosh! How come I never, ever come across you before ?"

He again turned to me smiling " I don't know, but I swear this is so weird yet exciting."

I recovered my face and just smiled "Totally right?".

I then saw the gates of H.P.A and knew we had arrived.

He asked me "Which Dorm no. ?".

"A-112" I said while gathering all of my things.

He stopped the car just outside my dorm and smiled, looking at me "Bye, hope to see you soon."

I turned to him and my lips curved upwards in gratitude "Thank you so much for helping me out. Hope to see you soon. Bye"

I stepped out of the car, only to realise that it had stopped raining.
He swerved out of the section, leaving me behind with a goofy smile. I shaked myself out of the reverie and stepped inside my cozy dorm.

-× - × - × - × - × - × - × - × - × - × - × - × - × - ×

A/N I know I have been terrible but I had important exams going on. Trust me when I say it was a whirlwind of a month. I have only two exams left and then you can expect regular updates( I hope).
Comment, vote and add it to your reading list.😉