Prologue

Prologue

October 31, 1981 was a significant date for many reasons. It was a Saturday - and who doesn't love a good Saturday? It was Halloween, a time for dressing up in silly costumes and begging for candy from complete strangers. But more than that; it was the day two boys lost their family and the wizarding world was freed from the evil clutches of Lord Voldemort.

Praises of one boy were sung, whilst cautious whispers and curious questions were asked of the second. The first boy was Harry James Potter, who would forever be known as the 'Boy-Who-Lived', the defeater of Voldemort and saviour of the wizarding world. The second was Leo Castor Black, the nephew of the man who would go down in history as an infamous mass-murderer, despite the fact that he was innocent of the crime in question.

Leo's father was Castor Perseus Black, the older twin of Sirius Orion Black, and a powerful wizard in his own right. He had been a somewhat quiet boy in school, never one to stir things up or get drawn into the spotlight. Unfortunately, fate had different plans for him. His power and unique magical abilities piqued the interest of not just Voldemort, but of the Dark wizard's adversary, Albus Dumbledore. Both vied for his attention and his assistance in the war, hopeful that the tides of war would turn in their respective favors.

Unfortunately, Castor didn't care for either of them. He chose to stay out of the war, not wanting to choose between his two brothers, who were on opposing sides of the conflict. He received scrutiny and distaste from both sides at his choice, prompting him to tell them to 'shove off' whilst he dwelled in seclusion with his wife and newborn child. His reluctance to choose a side ultimately led to questioning of his whereabouts after his disappearance, suspiciously around the time known Death Eater Regulus Arcturus Black disappeared. Was he killed by Voldemort? Did he run away with a Death Eater? Was it all a ruse, was he really on Voldemort's side?

It was somewhat of a relief that, despite the rumors circling Castor, Dumbledore did not choose to blame his son and instead placed him and his cousin in the home of their Aunt, Petunia Dursley.

While Leo's father was well-known, his mother was not. Born with the name Rose Marie Evans, she was yet another twin born in a time of war who would eventually fade into obscurity. She was a kind, shy Hufflepuff who managed to draw the attention of a socially awkward yet brave Gryffindor - simultaneously managing to get him booted from his family, which was a blessing in and of itself. Her Hufflepuff colors showed true when, after her husband's disappearance, she continued to remain loyal to him, often lashing out when others tried to disparage him and say that he was just like the rest of the Blacks. It was moments like that when she revealed that she didn't just share Lily's eyes - she also shared her twin's temper, and eventually her fate.

When Rose and the Potter parents met their terrible end that fateful Halloween night, they were visited by three men. The first was Severus Snape, former friend of Lily Potter neé Evans, and the man who had unwittingly been one of many catalysts that led to her demise. The second was Sirius Black, godfather of one of the boys and uncle to the other. The last was Rubeus Hagrid, a big giant of a man who took the boys from the demolished ruins of the Potter home and flew off with them on Sirius's flying motorcycle.

Leo sat in the sidecar, arms wrapped tightly around little Harry as the boy slowly drifted off to sleep. The almost one and a half year old stared thoughtfully at his cousin, slowly stroking the boy's messy mop of jet-black hair. Harry stirred for a moment before grunting and sticking his thumb in his mouth

"Haggi?" Leo called out to the man.

"Hmm?" Hagrid replied, keeping his eyes forward.

"Where momma?"

"... Gone, Leo," Hagrid finally said after a moment of silence.

"Where Wiwy?"

"Gone, Leo."

"Where Pongs? Where Pa'foo? Where Mooey?" Leo asked, tears springing up in his eyes.

When Hagrid remained silent, Leo asked, "Bad man hurt?" He received a nod. "Bad man come back?" A pause, then another nod. "Hurt Hawy?"

"... I dunno, Leo," Hagrid replied.

Leo clutched Harry tighter in his arms, frowning in determination as he vowed, "Weo pwotect Hawy."