Chapter 7: Snippy Snipey Snape

Siri and I both made it into Gryffindor, as did one of the Evans twins – the Muggleborns from the train. So far, the dorm seems like the loneliest place on earth. Siri has already turned James against me, and a boy named Peter Pettigrew seems to be following their lead. I don't trust him; he doesn't feel right. Remus Lupin seems all right though. Kind, a bit wary. Understandable, given...

**

"I heard his uncle was a mass murderer."

"I heard his father worked for You-Know-Who."

"That whole family's dark."

"Mark my words: he'll be a killer one of these days."

"Thanks for planning my career. Would you like me to start with you?" Leo replied in a pleasant tone.

The fourth year looked stricken before running off, most likely to gossip to her friends. Leo snorted before continuing down the stairs, ignoring the rest of the whispers. The entirety of the school was talking about two things: himself and Harry. Whilst Leo didn't mind the attention and – after years of living with the Dursleys and going through public school – insults failed to have any sort of impact on him, Harry was having a much harder time on their first day of school.

The constant whispers and staring were troubling the poor boy, leaving Leo with no choice but to do what he did best: make mischief and draw attention. He put liberal amounts of oatmeal in his spoon before flinging the contents at a second-year Ravenclaw who had been staring at Harry and whispering to his friend. The boy turned around angrily, looking for the cause. Leo pointed at George, prompting the boy to throw his plate of pancakes at the redhead.

From there, chaos erupted. Food was thrown across the hall, over tables, and landing on just about anyone and everyone. Leo swore he even saw Dumbledore throw a small grape in Snape's direction before looking down innocently at his food. Leo was sorely tempted to throw something at Snape as well, but the git was looking at him with such disdain that the blonde knew he would never get away with it.

Fortunately for Leo, he never got caught as the one who started the food fight. The only ones who knew were himself, the twins, Lee, and he was pretty sure Dumbledore knew as well. Unfortunately, there was no time to change clothes before heading to class. However, once there, Leo found the classes to be more diverse and fascinating than he had originally thought they would be.

They had to study the night skies through their telescopes every Wednesday at midnight and learn the names of different stars and the movements of the planets. Three times a week they went out to the greenhouses behind the castle to study Herbology, with a dumpy little witch called Professor Sprout, where they learned how to take care of all the strange plants and fungi, and found out what they were used for. Easily the most boring class was History of Magic, which was the only one taught by a ghost. Professor Binns had been very old indeed when he had fallen asleep in front of the staff room fire and got up next morning to teach, leaving his body behind him. Leo found him quite fascinating until he started talking.

Professor Flitwick, the Charms teacher, was a tiny little wizard who had to stand on a pile of books to see over his desk. Leo thought it was quite funny when, at the start of their first class he took the roll call, and when he reached Harry's name, he gave an excited squeak and toppled out of sight. 

Professor McGonagall was again different. Leo had been quite right to think she wasn't a teacher to cross. Strict and clever, she gave them a talking-to the moment they sat down in her first class. 

"Transfiguration is some of the most complex and dangerous magic you will learn at Hogwarts," she said. "Anyone messing around in my class will leave and not come back. You have been warned."